Anyone done the ice-cube tray preservation method for herbs?

OHChick

Sprout
Reaction score
I got a book from the library a few weeks ago that said for herbs you can take the leaves and put them in individual ice cube trays, pour boiling water over them and freeze them. I have lovely basil that I'd live to try it with, but I'm curious if anyone has ever done this?

Thanks in advance! :)

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I tried it with basil and it was slime city when it thawed. I very well may have done it completely wrong. I can do very basic food preservation but that's about it.

I've had MUCH better luck with freezing pesto in ice cube trays. I just add a couple drops of lemon juice to keep the basil from turning black.

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I use my basil to make pesto and freeze it. Recipe on another thread. Works great!:happy_flower

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do something like that, but I don't do boiling water; I just mash the herbs in as tightly as possible and either fill with regular water or with olive oil (if you use oil, you probably ought to use the whole cube straight from the freezer, don't let it sit around in the fridge to thaw or as partially-used, I think).

They do lose their color and texture but AFAIK that is just going to happen no matter what.

Basil in particular, though, I prefer to freeze as cubes of pesto (without the cheese, and *ideally* without the pinenuts too). I think the flavor and color come thru better that way, and what else are you going to use frozen basil for *anyhow* ;) It's surprising how many things benefit from the addition of a cube of pesto -- alfredo sauce, most soups, mac and cheese, gravy, etc.

Pat

Latest posts