Anyone ever grow fenugreek?

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I just got my fenugreek seeds, and they dont say if they are annual or perrenial, and I am not sure where to plant them.

ANyone ever grow it?

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow this is a neat herb! My mom uses it in curry, but I'd never thought about planting it.
I found some info on it -
Fenugreek is an annual that grows about 1-2 feet tall and is very easy to grow. If you are new to gardening here are some helpful tips:

Choose a location where you get at least a couple of hours of sunshine. Before planting, add organic compost (which is available in all nurseries and home and gardening stores) to the soil and blend it with the top six inches of the soil. Sow the seeds and cover it lightly with soil. Water thoroughly. Later water every 2-3 days. You will see nature take its course and you will enjoy aromatic oval fenugreek leaves in 8-10 days. You can just cut off the tender leaves and it will harvest for 2-3 weeks before it gets leggy. Once the plant gets leggy, remove and sow new seeds again.
http://www.indiacurrents.com/news/view_article.html?article_id=1d9758e17f34c6c6bbd3d408a56b1c4d

Fun Facts about fenugreek:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenugreek

It is such a neat plant! Now I want some!

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Cool! Thanks! I actually got it more for the medicinal side, i diddnt know it was also a culinary herb. I got the seeds from pinetree. I havnt looked at them yet, so I dont know how many are in there.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
sounds like a great herb i wouldnt mind trying some, would it be too late to plant seeds now?

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
No, my packet sayd spring, but it sounds like it grown pretty quickly. I am just starting seeds outside.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
oh ok maybe you could direct sow this herb too.
Good luck with the fenugreek. ;)

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there :frow

I have always known it as Methi & I am just about to sow some :fl It is the first time I've tried it as it's fairly easy to buy it in the UK. We have a lot of Indians & Parkistanis living here & I can get bunches of it in the market of the nearby town. I use the seeds as well. :D

Happy Gardening :tools

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts