Anyone ever heard of Dilly Beans?

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My DH's grandmother used to make what she had called Dilly Beans. She is not with us anymore and she was the only one who canned beans in his family. I thought it was just a family thing until I was talking to one of my girlfriends and she said she had heard of them before! I guess my family being from the city and transplanted here to the "country" had never encountered these things. :p So, I ask all of the canners here, has anyone else heard of these dilly beans and does anyone have a recipe? We have a lot of green beans coming in and my DH wants me to try to make them if I can. :D
Thanks in advance!!

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks! Seem a little spicy, which is why my DH probably liked them. :lol:

Now I have another question, what is a dill head?

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You can buy small packages of fresh dill in the produce isle of your grocery store. It's just a pinch of the fresh dill.
Google Dilly Beans there might be another recipe you would like better. Good Luck.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here is a recipe out of my 1964 USDA "Making Pickles and Relishes at home" booklet. It sure seems easy to do.

DILLED GREEN BEANS

green beans, whole..............4 pounds (about 4 qts)
Hot red pepper, crushed.......1/4 tsp. per pint jar
Whole mustard seed.............1/2 tsp. per pint jar
Dill seed................................1/2 tsp. per pint jar
Garlic.....................................1 clove per pint jar
vinegar...................................5 cups (1-1/4 qts)
water......................................5 cups (1-1/4 qts)
pickling salt..............................1/2 cup.

Wash beans thoroughly; drain and cut into lengths to fill pint jars. Pack beans into clean, hot jars; add pepper, mustard seed, dill seed and garlic.

Combine vinegar, water and salt; heat to boiling. Pour boiling liquid over beans, filling to 1/2 inch of top of jar. Adjust jar lids. Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes (start to count processing tine as soon as water in canner returns to boiling). Remove jars and complete seals if necessary. Set jars upright, several inches apart, on a wire rack to cool.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
GardenGirl said:
Now I have another question, what is a dill head?
It is the seed head of the dill plant. Usually you use them for pickles before the seeds have actually formed, and they are still green and fern like. Lots of flavour from them, and are also good added to a salad, or lay some on a piece of salmon while cooking.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
just made a quart and didn't read where you have to wait 2-4 WEEKS before eating.....I'm a do and eat it type of guy............

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was going to try dilly beans this year, but for anyone who has made them before, do they get mushy?

The recipes I've seen all bear a suspicious resemblance to the usual dill pickle recipes, and I dunno about youse guys, but my dill pickles always go a bit mushy in a few months. I have to either do the pickling lime thing (which makes me nervous) or I heard also that you can put grape leaves in? Does that work?

Latest posts