Anyone ever make an A-Frame shaker table to remove weeds from dirt..?

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, I've got a front strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street that is approx. 40'x4' and about 1/2 of it has a nice set of Bermuda grass that is slowly taking over -- ok -- quickly.. What I'd like to do is spend a few hours and a few $$ and make an A-frame style weed collector that would straddle a large wheel barrow and allow the user to shovel dirt into a hopper which has a medium-fine wire mesh on the bottom to allow the dirt to fall thru but leave any rocks & weeds behind.. Ultimately I'd love it to have a motor -- perhaps from an old washing machine that could shake the hopper automatically so I don't have to..

So, I was thinking the a-frame itself could be made of 2x4's with a pair of hinges so it can be folded up when not in use (making it almost 1 dimensional) -- similar in shape to your average 4-legged easel (see pic below)

7062_presentation-easel.jpg

Of course the legs would be much wider to allow the wheel barrow to straddle it -- and then I was thinking a set of 4 medium duty chains to hold the hopper -- supported by the top beam or perhaps one chain on each leg.. Then if I could find or make an eccentric cam I think I could dig up a medium duty electric motor to do the work..

Whaddya think? Seems do-able.. It would make my life WAY easier than doing it by hand!! At this point, assuming I've got such a device made & working, I plan on digging all of the dirt out of the planter little by little and making a pile of clean weed-free dirt in the driveway and dig down to a depth of perhaps 18" or deeper if I see weed tendrils that deep..Since the weeds are relatively new, I'm hoping I don't have to dig beyond 1' of depth..

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Have you considered a grocery store shopping cart? That's what I use to de-rock my garden. Dirt falls thorough, rocks and weeds stay in the cart to be rolled away. The stores around here will let you have their defective ones for free.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think old shopping carts ever die. My father in law used to make animal traps out of them.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hmm.. Hadn't thought of that.. Not sure I'd be able to find one around here.. In my case I think the a-frame would work better for me.. So much yard work to catch up on.. I'm getting my lawn mower & mini-tiller back tomorrow from the shop.. Both had gas/fuel issues causing stalling.. Gotta quit using premium.. (and letting them sit w/o use for long periods)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
RickF said:
Hmm.. Hadn't thought of that.. Not sure I'd be able to find one around here.. In my case I think the a-frame would work better for me.. So much yard work to catch up on.. I'm getting my lawn mower & mini-tiller back tomorrow from the shop.. Both had gas/fuel issues causing stalling.. Gotta quit using premium.. (and letting them sit w/o use for long periods)
My lazy brother in law has ruined countless lawnmowers, tillers, motorcycles, you name it, by leaving the gas in them for-like-ever. Wasteful!!! (Sorry, off topic)

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah.. I've not ruined any yet -- I just don't use them weekly if you know what I mean.. They do get used year-round -- at least the mower does -- I should really remove all gas from the tiller though.. Save me some grief..

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I woulda never thought of that use for an old shopping cart Old Guy!!! They have bunches of them in Ukiah.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
I woulda never thought of that use for an old shopping cart Old Guy!!! They have bunches of them in Ukiah.
The ones with the plastic basket work better than the all metal ones. Just don't put to much in at any one time. I'll post a picture of the one I have 'modified' for the purpose as soon as it's daylight.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here it is:

De-Rocker.jpg

Construction details. I added a piece of plywood and wired the swing-away back piece in place because (a.) it kept swinging open when I shook it and (b.) long, slender rocks kept falling out through the grate. Also note that I found one that had the bottom shelf missing. Just easier to work with.

De-Rocker1.jpg

Here's a shot of it in action:

Derocking004.jpg

One store manager told me he was happy to let me have their no-longer-useable carts since they had to pay someone to haul them to the landfill. The plastic ones are best for the purpose since they have a smaller mesh than the metal ones.

Latest posts