Anyone ever plant Mangels for chickens???

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
saym said:
Thank you for the info...I already checked with Johnny's Seeds..they sell by the pound!!! In this article I read, they say the red ones are best for chickens,,,and they are also known as fodder beets...
You want some seeds if I buy a pound? it's 15$ for a pound..I just don't know what else I would do with them, as I only have about 1/4 acre plantable! I may concede and buy the seeds for the yellow ones..that's 3$ for 50 seeds. But let me know if you want some..I will send you some free!
I used to have a garden center so it doesn't bother me to buy a pound of seeds.
Are you getting down in the single digits there? Has your weather been as bad as the rest of the east? it has been really mild here, the girls have been having it easy these days, but it should be dropping into the negative numbers here by friday...
Anyway,,,Thanks again and Happy New Year!
oh, i didn't think about checking Johnny's. they are so close to me that seeds have taken about 2 days to arrive by mail! but a lb of seeds is quite a lot for me to have on hand for something i haven't tried before. though it does sound like something my chickies might like! but with 1/2 and acre here i may have to figure out where to put them with all my planned veggies for the 2011 season! :lol:

if i could just get 40-50 seeds that would be a good amount to start with! i can send you some seeds from my collection of stuff i have! lots of different types of herbs and veggies, some flowers too! if there is something you might be looking for just let me know and i will check my stash of stuff!

our area didn't get as cold as a lot of areas south of us, mostly teens and the 20's but lots of wind to make it feel miserable. i'm thinking our neck of the woods may be just like last year-cold and dry with little snow again. :/ we did get about 6" and lots of snow drifts Sunday through Monday with our 'blizzard'. i'm just waiting for the usual thaw to take away the snow we just got and it to get cold again.

saym

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I found oz packages on both Shumway and Bakers Rare Seeds..Shumway wanted 6$ shipping , But baker's only wanted 3..Plus Bakers has the red ones so I went ahead and ordered them from Baker's!
Now I don't know if I can till up deep enough, but I am going to try!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
good luck! i may order some from Baker's too! i was looking at the site last night and saw some other things i wanted to order and they are really reasonable on the shipping!

though it is like hatching eggs, how am i going to get them past my dh! :hide he already thinks i have waaaay to many seeds and chickens! :lol:

saym

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Emphasize the fact that it will help on the feed bill???Or just stick em in the freezer till you're ready to plant..by then he will be desensitzed to the whole planting thing..Keep bugging him about the greenhouse!!!:bee

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
heh, i am sure he wouldn't mind that part! most of what i grow sort of goes to the chickens anyways!

we have all the parts for the greenhouse but since it will be covered in plastic sheeting we decided to hold off assembling it till next spring since it could get damaged by nearby trees. i also have most of the lumber and plastic panels if i wanted to make a more permanent greenhouse.

Latest posts