Anyone from Central Oregon?

snozzleberry

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Gardening here is difficult!! This is my second year as a gardener. Last year, my garden completely failed. I couln't grow a weed, literally. I bought bad soil from ACE Hardware. That was a mistake. Anyway, I have amended my soil and things are looking good. Except someththing is eating my chard, lettuce, and broccoli leaves. Any ideas?
Also, what vegetables do well in this area?
Thanks in advance for any advice, and nice to meet you!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome!! I'm on the opposite side of the country... Gardening is such a learning curve! Any evidence of slugs or snails? Good luck!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi snozzleberry, welcome:). I don't know what your growing season is where you are in central oregon... Do you know your Zone or elevation? Any idea how cold it gets throughout the winter where you are? How about length of growing season? If you can give us more info maybe someone here has some suggestions for you...

I have a short growing season in nw Montana, and being close to the mountains doesnt help either. Some things don't mind cold...you can plant radishes, onions, peas, some lettuces...earlier (and later) than other garden things... Oh also kale, chard...I'm sure there's tons more stuff I'm forgetting. Spinach. I just grow what I like to eat!!

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
welcome.

My DH loves Bend OR. And Grants Pass too. He'd like to move there again someday, but we're trying to sell our home and thats gonna take some time nowadays.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bend & Grants Pass - Not the same, Murphysranch. I used to live between Grants Pass & Medford and have cousins around Grants Pass. (My son is on his way now from Pennsylvania to that part of Oregon since it is kind of his home stomping grounds, also.)

Grants Pass is under 1,000 feet in elevation. Bend is over 3,500 feet in elevation. So, Bend is more like where I live now. (Wanna move up here, Murphysranch? :))

Yeah, when I saw "central Oregon" - I thought Bend but then, maybe the Willamette Valley . . ! That would be something else again! Silkiechicken and others are from over in the Willamette Valley.

We need Snozzleberry to give us a better idea of where this "central Oregon" is :cool:! It is a wonderful state but there are a good deal of differences between east/west of the Cascades and east/west of the Coast Range. Okay, I don't suspect that you are over on the coast, Snozzle' ;).

I'll agree with Lesa on checking for slugs. Leaf-miners also like those things and flea beetle make little pits in the leaves of the plants sometimes, almost killing them in the process.

Steve

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Central = Redomnd/Bend/LaPine to one who is doing a temp stay in the willamette valley for school. :p

Welcome!

I hear in Bend tomato's grow as well as they do in WA... which is not so well for anything not short seasoned.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Bend & Grants Pass - Not the same, Murphysranch. I used to live between Grants Pass & Medford and have cousins around Grants Pass. (My son is on his way now from Pennsylvania to that part of Oregon since it is kind of his home stomping grounds, also.)

Grants Pass is under 1,000 feet in elevation. Bend is over 3,500 feet in elevation. So, Bend is more like where I live now. (Wanna move up here, Murphysranch? :))

Yeah, when I saw "central Oregon" - I thought Bend but then, maybe the Willamette Valley . . ! That would be something else again! Silkiechicken and others are from over in the Willamette Valley.

We need Snozzleberry to give us a better idea of where this "central Oregon" is :cool:! It is a wonderful state but there are a good deal of differences between east/west of the Cascades and east/west of the Coast Range. Okay, I don't suspect that you are over on the coast, Snozzle' ;).

I'll agree with Lesa on checking for slugs. Leaf-miners also like those things and flea beetle make little pits in the leaves of the plants sometimes, almost killing them in the process.

Steve
I know. I don't care for Bend, too high and dry. But we go to the Sun River Resort every couple of years. DH moved there from Crescent City the day after high school grad. He loves it there! I DO like Grants Pass tho. More my type of weather and environment.

I used to own property in Spirit Lake, just north of Coeur d'Alene. LOVE that area. But my dream died along with the marriage, 24 years ago!

We'll find our dream area someday. :)

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I assume snozzle means the Bend/ La Pine/Redmond area as already noted.

The Willamette Valley region (Portland, Salem, Albany, Coburg, Eugene) is a piece of cake to garden in.

Born and raised in Salem, lived in Eugene and Portland too......

deenamr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi,

I am in Terrebonne and generally have a pretty successful garden every year. I plant onions, lettuces, spinach, carrots, radish, beans, peas, potatos, corn, pumpkins, winter squash, summer squash, cucmbers, tomatos, peppers, cantaloupe, watermelon, eggplant, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower. Every year there is an item or two that doesn't do as well as other items and some years I have an insane bumper crop of one thing in particular. I have been gardening here since I was 5 years old with my dad. I try to keep in mind the short growing season a pick items that mature quickly. I also am aware that in the spring and fall I will be covering up to protect from frost and extend my growing season. I have been experimenting with using black plastic to increase the heat to improve my melon production. I get lots of canteloupe but last year only had 1 watermelon make it.

If you have more specific questions let me know.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, there's hope for gardening in that part of the world!

Deena can also provide animal care answers.

One stop shopping for Central Oregon!

Steve

Latest posts