Anyone from Central Oregon?

snozzleberry

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi there, Central Oregon does not include the Willamette valley as it is on the other side of the cascades and worlds apart in terms of ecology. I was simply seeking out fellow Central Oregonians for a discussion on gardening in our area. Thanks for all of your feedback. It is much appreciated.

snozzleberry

Leafing Out
Reaction score
nice to meet you. thanks for your input. I wanted to meet people from central oregon, and you are the only one who has answered some of my questions. Thanks a Bunch!!
deenamr said:
Hi,

I am in Terrebonne and generally have a pretty successful garden every year. I plant onions, lettuces, spinach, carrots, radish, beans, peas, potatos, corn, pumpkins, winter squash, summer squash, cucmbers, tomatos, peppers, cantaloupe, watermelon, eggplant, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower. Every year there is an item or two that doesn't do as well as other items and some years I have an insane bumper crop of one thing in particular. I have been gardening here since I was 5 years old with my dad. I try to keep in mind the short growing season a pick items that mature quickly. I also am aware that in the spring and fall I will be covering up to protect from frost and extend my growing season. I have been experimenting with using black plastic to increase the heat to improve my melon production. I get lots of canteloupe but last year only had 1 watermelon make it.

If you have more specific questions let me know.

snozzleberry

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Lucky you! I bet it is nice to have more than a few months to grow something. It can be done here though. I have seen a few gardens that could have been on the cover of a garden mag. It just takes a lot more work and a better understanding of the chemistry behind growing food and flowers to make it happen in this area.;)
beavis said:
I assume snozzle means the Bend/ La Pine/Redmond area as already noted.

The Willamette Valley region (Portland, Salem, Albany, Coburg, Eugene) is a piece of cake to garden in.

Born and raised in Salem, lived in Eugene and Portland too......

Latest posts