Anyone grow peanuts?

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
(added emphasis mine) That is actually of greater concern to me than the DTM. I'm not worried about the foliage, since the area is well fenced to keep out the herbivores which would otherwise ravage my soybeans. Voles are a bigger problem; if they find the peanuts, I probably won't get many. The peanuts are planned for the rural garden though, where ironically, they will be safer... the property owner's semi-feral cats have no problem jumping the fence, and prowl the garden relentlessly.🐱 🐱
I think that's what was eating mine, though I was never sure. Whatever it was stopped when I sprayed pureed ghost peppers on them and never came back but by then the damage was done. I harvested 10 peanuts off from what started as 8 plants two years ago, only because some of them came back from the roots after being mowed down. I haven't bothered trying since.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
One other thing I thought I should mention about growing peanuts, they can shrink over generations. That is, if conditions are not perfect, the peanuts you get back at harvest can be MUCH smaller than the ones you planted. When I grew mine, I used the BIGGEST raw peanuts I could get my hands on (ones the size of my thumb in two seed pods) and what I got back was normal sized, if not somewhat on the small size.
Sounds much like garlic in that respect. :rolleyes:

My soil is very fertile; so if I got smaller peanuts than what was planted, it would likely be due to either bad weather, or insufficient growing time. If I get peanuts at all (and keep the voles out of them) I'll be a happy camper, regardless of size.

Latest posts