Anyone Have A Composting Toilet ?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been considering one for the corner of my compost area. I'm older, female (so whipping something out is problematical) and my bladder function isn't what it once was nor does it give me the warning signals that it once did. There are a few occasions when I was out working in the garden and couldn't make it into the house on time. (Let's all pretend for the moment that that wasn't too much information.)

The corner of my compost area is almost completely private and it wouldn't be too hard to increase the privacy to be adequate.

I've watched that video above and that looks good to me. ...only thing is I wouldn't have any electricity out there. Are there models that don't require electricity? And am I understanding that when the solid stuff is mixed into coir or peat that I could add it to my compost? I am NOT timid about what goes into my piles. I keep 4 large ones going so what gets added to an active pile will probably remain in it breaking down for at least 2 full years.
Hello Rainey ... Welcome to TEG... it looks like you will fit right in here. LOL :) There seems to be no such thing as TMI around here !!! My loving DH built me an outhouse at our 2 acre lot where the garden and orchard is. No place but bushes and poison ivy to do business in and the car drive home for facilities was often not QUICK enough. YEP we can also pretend I did not just tell too much! HA !

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My grandmother had an outhouse either right in the middle of her garden or in the back of it. I remember that the path to it was right through the garden.

We moved from grandma's Redding California home to Oregon when I was 4 so the sunflowers that hid the outhouse at that age looked huge to me!

Nearby was a small corral. When we were there, no critters lived in her little field except a deer. Mom had a picture of me or my brother with one hand on the deer's neck, looking in the bucket at whatever she was eating. I learned to leave her alone when she had food. She kicked me with a front foot - hurt my feelings as much as my shin.

Steve
providing too much information about a deer hurting his feelings when he was a toddler.

rainey

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
How very wonderful your husband must be! I'd be in trou-BLE in a 2 acre yard. I've only got 50 yards to cover at most. But, happily, no poison ivy to cause an itchy heinie.

I LOVE the idea of sunflowers masking an outhouse. Maybe I can get some going around my new potty for privacy. ...only thing is those suckers are hairy and itchy!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hello Rainey ... Welcome to TEG... it looks like you will fit right in here. LOL :) There seems to be no such thing as TMI around here !!! My loving DH built me an outhouse at our 2 acre lot where the garden and orchard is. No place but bushes and poison ivy to do business in and the car drive home for facilities was often not QUICK enough. YEP we can also pretend I did not just tell too much! HA !
Built you a outhouse now thats LOVE

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
upload_2018-2-10_9-26-6.png
heres one

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My sister and her husband bought a large boat. Anyone coming aboard for a ride is warned to watch what they drink. While the boat has a bathroom my sister keeps it locked and will not unlock for anyone. The boats toilet has some kind of holding tank, which my sister refuses to have to clean. Men kind of have it better, they can go to back of boat and urinate into water. Woman have to cross legs till docking

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
My sister and her husband bought a large boat. Anyone coming aboard for a ride is warned to watch what they drink. While the boat has a bathroom my sister keeps it locked and will not unlock for anyone. The boats toilet has some kind of holding tank, which my sister refuses to have to clean. Men kind of have it better, they can go to back of boat and urinate into water. Woman have to cross legs till docking
Take the bucket potty for the women! My goodness this so reminds me of a story Mom told on herself. They always overwintered in AZ after Dad retired. Uncle would take them out on the lake in his boat. Big but not one with a potty. So the women used a coffee can. One time Mom was using the coffee can when another boats wake cause their boat to rock, she lost her balance and hit her head on the gunnel. Long story short, she had to get stitches in her forehead. Sorry Mom but every time I think about it I get to giggling. TMI again! ;) Right? I think the 5 gallon bucket with seat would have been safer!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rainy's wraparound should be suitable for a obscure location.

Colony of wraparounds in the compost area ...

;)

Steve

Latest posts