Anyone Have A Composting Toilet ?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been considering one for the corner of my compost area. I'm older, female (so whipping something out is problematical) and my bladder function isn't what it once was nor does it give me the warning signals that it once did. There are a few occasions when I was out working in the garden and couldn't make it into the house on time. (Let's all pretend for the moment that that wasn't too much information.)

The corner of my compost area is almost completely private and it wouldn't be too hard to increase the privacy to be adequate.

I've watched that video above and that looks good to me. ...only thing is I wouldn't have any electricity out there. Are there models that don't require electricity? And am I understanding that when the solid stuff is mixed into coir or peat that I could add it to my compost? I am NOT timid about what goes into my piles. I keep 4 large ones going so what gets added to an active pile will probably remain in it breaking down for at least 2 full years.

for any human output 2yrs in a compost pile is likely going to be just fine. for extra safety you can always bury the compost below a few inches of dirt to prevent any splashing around.

the humanure handbook is a great resource and free on-line.

i wish we weren't quite so close to so many water sources as i would love to use my poo for garden goodies (after it composts a while). just that with a high water table and too many ditches i would not want to contaminate people downstream if we get a flash flood event (rare, but they do happen).

Latest posts