Anyone have a good spaghetti sauce recipe?

toddntiff

Sprout
Reaction score
I want to can some spaghetti sauce! I'd love to get a good recipe!

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The first one I used all last summer. The second one I have not tried, but it sounds great :)

The Tomato Ladys Garden Marinara Saucefreeze extras for pizza sauce, as topping for pasta or base for spaghetti and meatballs.

A colander heaping full of heirloom tomatoes (assorted varieties make the best sauce)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic
2 handfuls fresh mixed basil, parsley, oregano and marjoram, chopped
2 tsp kosher salt
Several grinds of fresh pepper
Peel and seed the tomatoes. (For easy peeling, cut an X in the bottom of the tomatoes, then boil them briefly the skins should slide right off.) In a saut pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat, then add the garlic. When the cloves turn a honey brown, remove and discard. Put half of the tomatoes in a food processor and pulse to make small chunks. Add to the oil. Pulse the remaining tomatoes with half the herbs. Add to the pan with salt and pepper. Simmer to the desired consistency, 30 to 40 minutes depending on the tomatoes water content. Turn off the heat and stir in the remaining herbs. Enjoy. The sauce can be frozen for future use. Serves 8 to 10.

Freezer Tomato Saucefrom theeasygarden.com
20 tomatoes, washed, cored, cut in chunks
4 onions, chopped (4 cups)
4 large carrots, pared and shredded
1/2 cup chopped parsley (optional)
3 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. salt
3/4 tsp. pepper

Mix well. Slowly bring to boil stirring often. Lower heat and simmer 30 minutes (till thick) stirring often. Cool slightly. Measure 3 cups at a time. Blend in blender till sooth. Place in containers (1/2" headspace). Seal and freeze.

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is not really a recipe because I change it around according what I have and what is fresh. Add more of what ever you like best.

During summer I chop tomatoes basil garlic and red chilies and saute in olive oil until most of the moisture evaporates. Use way more tomatoes than you think you'll need because the cook down. Then add salt and pepper to taste and a dash of red wine vinegar.

In the winter I used canned tomatoes either homemade or store bought. The tomatoes should be whole. Saute a couple or more cloves of garlic with a red pepper flakes (to taste) in olive oil until it is fragrant. Then dump a large can of tomatoes add a heavy pinch of salt and several grinds of black pepper and a few dashes of dried oregano (probably about half a teaspoon).

Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer until the liquid in the pan is at least half what it was. If you would like a thicker sauce let it cook longer. I have even cooked it until most of the liquid was gone, keep in mind there is still liquid inside the tomatoes so compensate for that. Be sure to stir occasionally. By using whole tomatoes you keep the seeds inside the tomatoes which keeps them from making the sauce bitter.

Pull the pan off the stove and put the hand blender to it. If you don't have a hand blender you can put it in the blender or food processor or even mash it with a potato masher for a chunky sauce. Then add a small handful of fresh chopped basil and a couple of dashes of red wine vinegar. Taste and check the seasoning. Awesome on pizza! Enjoy!

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I use Mrs. Wages Spaghetti Mix. It is wondeful and so easy.

Latest posts