anyone have leek recipes?

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi,

I have leeks, and only one recipe that calls for them, a potato-leek soup, which is very good, but does anyone have any other recipes using leeks?

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
freshfood said:
Hi,

I have leeks, and only one recipe that calls for them, a potato-leek soup, which is very good, but does anyone have any other recipes using leeks?
I have one that has brussels sprouts, carrots, leeks and horseradish. If you're interested I'll look it up for you!

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
henrietta23 said:
freshfood said:
Hi,

I have one that has brussels sprouts, carrots, leeks and horseradish. If you're interested I'll look it up for you!
Sounds yummy - if you get a chance, I'd love to check it out.

Thanks!

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'll find it today. I just have to remember which cookbook it's in. It's tasty but you have to like horseradish!
freshfood said:
henrietta23 said:
freshfood said:
Hi,

Sounds yummy - if you get a chance, I'd love to check it out.

Thanks!

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Found it. It is from Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant.

Brussels Sprouts with Horseradish
1.5 lbs Brussels sprouts
3 large carrots
3 leeks thoroughly washed
3 Tbs grated fresh or prepared horseradish
3 Tbs cider vinegar
1 tsp dried dill weed (1 Tbs fresh)
1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Trim off tough outer leaves of the sprouts. Cut the carrots into 1 inch thick slices and the leeks into 1/2 inch pieces. Steam the vegetables until tender for about 10-12 minutes. Drain.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a heavy saucepan. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Toss well with the hot, drained vegetables and serve immediatley.

A hint-stand back when you're heating the vinegar and horseradish unless you want your sinuses instantly cleaned out. Whew!

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here is one I love. It is a very light and delicate tasting leek salad. It uses all of the leek including the green leafy part.
Clean and barely cook chopped up leek(till the greens just turn vivid green). Drain. Make a french dressing or vinaigrette. Here is a recipe from the Joy of Cooking": Place in the bottom of a jar:
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/4 vinegar or lemon juice
1/4 to1/2 tsp prepared mustard.
Lid and shake jar until these ingredients are blended.
Pour the vinaigrette over the cooked leek, ok if leek is still warm. Let sit to marinade for at least 15 minutes. This may be made ahead, refrigerated and served several days later. Can be served warm or cold.
I got this recipe from an old neighbor, who lived in France before WWII.
enjoy!

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
Here is one I love. It is a very light and delicate tasting leek salad. It uses all of the leek including the green leafy part.
Clean and barely cook chopped up leek(till the greens just turn vivid green). Drain. Make a french dressing or vinaigrette. Here is a recipe from the Joy of Cooking": Place in the bottom of a jar:
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/4 vinegar or lemon juice
1/4 to1/2 tsp prepared mustard.
Lid and shake jar until these ingredients are blended.
Pour the vinaigrette over the cooked leek, ok if leek is still warm. Let sit to marinade for at least 15 minutes. This may be made ahead, refrigerated and served several days later. Can be served warm or cold.
I got this recipe from an old neighbor, who lived in France before WWII.
enjoy!
Denise...what is the measurement for the vinegar or lemon juice? This sounds wonderful.

Anne

Latest posts