Anyone here do vermicomposting?

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Also, everytime we visit family in West Virginia, my dh thinks I am crazy because I want to go to the bait shop and buy nightcrawlers and bring them back to New York for my compost piles! I must make sure I do this next time we go. I just have the regular worms. I want the super giant ones!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
The books that I have read on vermiculture said that nightcrawlers don't do composting and that they get their nutrients much deeper in the soil. Has anyone else found true nightcrawlers in their compost?

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just started vermicomposting about 6 weeks ago, too. I purchased one of the worm factories from ebay and worms from www.wormswrangler.com. I added the second tray about 10 days ago and they are already going at it.

I also have two tubs (about 3x4x1) that I keep covered. I will add to one while the other is decomposing. The compost is wonderful! I am using it in 4" cups to root strawberries right now.

Next year in the greenhouse I plan to use only natural fertilizers for all the plants I sell.

sharehome

Sprout
Reaction score
I was all excited to start this I got an old tote and shredded some paper for the bottom and took some of our existing compost pile and put it is as a base. I then sent my two boys out to dig for worms in the yard. There wer none!!!! In about 4 different spots we dug down about 2 feet and did come across one. Whats up??

My husband says that sine it is so warm that the worms dig way down into the soil. Anyone else heard of this? should I just go buy worms?

I gues I really need to do a worm bin if I have no worms.:/

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can purchase the red wigglers. They are the type of worms that eat compost well, but the night crawlers live a little deeper in the soil. We purchased them one time from an Outdoor Life mag! ;)

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I get my red wigglers from the local bait and tackle shop. Their so cheap-it amazing.

I read there are 2 types of worms that will work best:

The two types of earthworm best suited to worm composting are the redworms: Eisenia foetida (commonly known as red wiggler, brandling, or manure worm) and Lumbricus rubellus They are often found in aged manure and compost heaps. Please do not use dew-worms (large size worms found in soil and compost) as they are not likely to survive.

Buster

Sprout
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
The books that I have read on vermiculture said that nightcrawlers don't do composting and that they get their nutrients much deeper in the soil. Has anyone else found true nightcrawlers in their compost?
Well, that's weird because that's all I used in my little worm farm. They seemed to do just fine.

jackiedon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I was wondering about what type of worms you could use. Last year I was going to grow worms for my chickens. I got some night crawlers from my woods and I went to the bait shop to buy some. The lady at the bait shop told me nightcrawlers wouldn't work that well. Mine ending up dying that I got for the woods but they stayed alive long enough to have a lot of worm poop. Of course my parents got sick so I didn't have time to keep them moist.

jackie