1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2019 SEED CATALOGS!!!! - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Anyone Know About Potbelly Stoves ?

Discussion in 'Tools & Supplies' started by Nyboy, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Dec 4, 2018
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

Thanks Valley, I heat with a rectangular cast iron woodstove, so no hands on experience with a pot belly. Our fire box is fairly small, and can't handle more than a 16" length log. It is also not very deep so we notice a difference in the fuel we use. Have to feed it like a baby bird when we use soft woods.

I didn't see dimensions on the fuel box so was just guessing it was fairly small. But good point about putting in a sizeable chunk, once you have a good bit of hot coals I can see that being effective.

valley ranch likes this.
  2. Dec 4, 2018
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

He's thinking about using it on a patio, which is where the thought of needing to be pretty close to it came from. It's not going to be heating up a lot of air outdoors.

Nyboy likes this.
  3. Dec 4, 2018
    valley ranch

valley ranch Garden Addicted

Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
    You're right ~ even maybe 12" pieces cut for a pot belly might be nicer ``` The stove I have here at the upper place ~ can take monster splits ~ but I cut them about 18" ```

4. Dec 4, 2018
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

I want to use outside on a cement block patio. Saw a patio with one in magazine loved the idea. Because of flying blood suckers I only use patio when chilly. Stove would be left outside to weather.

valley ranch likes this.
  5. Dec 4, 2018
    valley ranch

They throw a lot of heat to the side ~ because not much burner area ~ lots of side wall ~ should be great for patio ~ all the heat goes out to the side ~ better if placed in the center rather than to one side ~ at least some room ~ all round the stove so you can sit around it ~ if I'm explaining it right ```

Nyboy and thistlebloom like this.
  6. Dec 4, 2018
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

You would ruin it if left outdoors. It's cute, but not practical for leaving it outside, uncovered by a roof to keep the weather off.

Nyboy and valley ranch like this.
  7. Dec 5, 2018
    valley ranch

Yep, getting rained on wouldn't help it ~ in a covered patio like a grape arbor ~ like at the folks ranch ```

Nyboy likes this.
  8. Dec 5, 2018
    Beekissed

Beekissed Garden Master

Pot bellies can burn wood or coal...easier to burn coal in these as they have a small door and firebox, as well as a small ash pan. Surprisingly they put out quite a bit of heat for their size but hard to bank up with wood unless they are built pretty tight. Easier to bank up with coal if you have a good quality of coal on hand, but still hard if they are leaky.

We used to heat with one long ago and used coal. Coal is a messy fuel and puts a lot of black dust into the air, home, respiratory system.

Nyboy, valley ranch and Ridgerunner like this.
  9. Dec 5, 2018
    valley ranch

Some people seal cast iron stoves with that gray fiber cement ~ they don't leak ~ and yeh ~ they load different ~ They do make them in all kind of sizes ~ I have a big one ~ I've never repaired and put together ~ it's big you could burn dogs ~if you cut them half ```

One time ~ I was about 20 ~ I/we went to Lake Arrowhead and rented a little cabin ~ there was a sweet little Potbelly ~ I opened a bundle of wood ~ and got the little stove cooking ~ when they make the movie ~ I want that night to be in there ```