Anyone Know About Potbelly Stoves ?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Valley, I heat with a rectangular cast iron woodstove, so no hands on experience with a pot belly. Our fire box is fairly small, and can't handle more than a 16" length log. It is also not very deep so we notice a difference in the fuel we use. Have to feed it like a baby bird when we use soft woods.

I didn't see dimensions on the fuel box so was just guessing it was fairly small. But good point about putting in a sizeable chunk, once you have a good bit of hot coals I can see that being effective.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I want to use outside on a cement block patio. Saw a patio with one in magazine loved the idea. Because of flying blood suckers I only use patio when chilly. Stove would be left outside to weather.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
They throw a lot of heat to the side ~ because not much burner area ~ lots of side wall ~ should be great for patio ~ all the heat goes out to the side ~ better if placed in the center rather than to one side ~ at least some room ~ all round the stove so you can sit around it ~ if I'm explaining it right ```

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pot bellies can burn wood or coal...easier to burn coal in these as they have a small door and firebox, as well as a small ash pan. Surprisingly they put out quite a bit of heat for their size but hard to bank up with wood unless they are built pretty tight. Easier to bank up with coal if you have a good quality of coal on hand, but still hard if they are leaky.

We used to heat with one long ago and used coal. Coal is a messy fuel and puts a lot of black dust into the air, home, respiratory system.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Some people seal cast iron stoves with that gray fiber cement ~ they don't leak ~ and yeh ~ they load different ~ They do make them in all kind of sizes ~ I have a big one ~ I've never repaired and put together ~ it's big you could burn dogs ~if you cut them half ```

One time ~ I was about 20 ~ I/we went to Lake Arrowhead and rented a little cabin ~ there was a sweet little Potbelly ~ I opened a bundle of wood ~ and got the little stove cooking ~ when they make the movie ~ I want that night to be in there ```

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
First I would want to seller to build a fire in it to demonstrate that there were no cracks.
My MIL built a porch on the back of her home. It had windows and screens, some insulation, but not heated. They had he wood burning stove in the plans and they laid down brick and had a PROFESSIONAL install her wood burning stove which was in the corner away from the house. It was always nice and toasty during the winter on that porch once she had it fired up, but she could close off the room and let it get cold whenever, too.
Secondly, get a professional to install YOURS bc we have a LOT of fires outside and I can see where the embers like to go. You Don't want to burn down the house.
Just some fyi.

Latest posts