Anyone know where to get a Broadfork? The 24-36" wide kind?

chickenannie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Anyone know where to get a Broadfork? The 24-36" wide kind? The ones I've seen are super expensive.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, they are. I think that is somewhat intrinsic to the item unfortunately, although I am not certain why.

If it were me I would go find a friend who's a welder. Seriously. ;)

Pat, who thinks about doing this every time the Lee Valley catalog comes ;)

chickenannie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I really have to develop that friendship with a welder... and carpenter... and computer tech guy...:lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use a long-handled spading fork in much the same manner as one uses a broad-fork - loosening the soil rather than lifting and turning it.

The length of the handle is important for the ease of use.

Finding a fork with the long-hand is sometimes a problem - I go thru one about every 3 or 4 years. I have purchased a D-handle fork and a separate wood handle. Then the D-handle has been replaced by my now 90 year-old father for my use. Dad has always been very handy with tools ;).

Steve

Johnny's has broadforks. Spading forks are in your local garden center at probably a 50-70% savings even if the handle is replaced.

chickenannie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Just wanted to say that I borrowed a broadfork this week and it was amazing how fast I was able to prepare my garden beds -- with minimal effort. It's a great tool and I am now singing its praises (the broadfork)...

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Watch your area for public autions, i have several things I bought cheep at auctions from farms.

chickenannie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
WOW! I finally ordered a broadfork from Johnny's. It's 30 inches wide!!! That can turn a bed in 30 minutes. Can't wait till it gets here this week (it wasn't cheap).

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I use a long-handled spading fork in much the same manner as one uses a broad-fork - loosening the soil rather than lifting and turning it.
I do, too.

Johnny's has broadforks. Spading forks are in your local garden center at probably a 50-70% savings even if the handle is replaced.
I was going to say the same thing, Johnny's is a good source, they aren't cheap, but the forks and broadforks comes with a lifetime guarantee. I bought the big Root and Potato Fork back when it was $64, and it's still as good as when I bought it - and it's met plenty of rocks over the years that would have bent lesser forks!

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am not familiar with a "broad fork". I am picturing something like a very wide potato fork, is that correct? Do you use it instead of a tiller in a garden that has been prepared before?

chickenannie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
It's kind of like a digging fork, except it's much wider, with tines every 4 inches. The two handles on either side are tall and rather then bending over and lifting with your back and arms like you would a digging fork, you simply step into the crossbar and move it back and forth in one motion with your hands. I can use it for an hour without feeling tired. You use it instead of a rototiller -- I go back and forth on the bed then do it again perpendicular. It aerates and breaks up the soil without "turning it over" and is supposed to keep the soil loose without breaking the desireable soil structure.
If you know anyone who has one try it.

Latest posts