anyone re-use their

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
canning lids ? A freind o' mine jist told me that his wife allways reused hers as long as the rubber ring wernt dammaged in any way.
What say ye ?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
if you don't mind a greater likelihood of seal failure you can sometimes/often get away with it. Got to check the seal *well*, 24 hrs after its cooled, though -- take off screwband and then see if you can pick up the whole jar by just your fingernails on the edges of the lid. If so, it will probably remain ok; if not, refrigerate and eat soon.

Pat

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't reuse the canning lids, once they come off and the jar is empyt the lids go in the trash. I do inspect and reuse the rings thought if they are not dented or rusted.

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'll re-use for freezer jam or storing dry ingredients- anything that isn't crucial to have an actual seal. Canning is kind of labor intensive and I like to stack the odds of success in my favor as much as possible, so I use new lids with every batch.

Kricket

Leafing Out
Reaction score
janetnjim said:
cannin lids ? A freind o' mine jist told me that his wife allways reused hers as long as the rubber ring wernt dammaged in any way.
What say ye ?
i would hate to do all that work and the re-used lids did not seal. I won't try.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Kricket said:
janetnjim said:
cannin lids ? A freind o' mine jist told me that his wife allways reused hers as long as the rubber ring wernt dammaged in any way.
What say ye ?
i would hate to do all that work and the re-used lids did not seal. I won't try.
Ditto. I reuse mine only for dry and freezer storage.

unclejoe

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I don't reuse them now, but I do save them in the event that they come up in short supply some day. Last year I discovered quite accidentally that they will reseal. I used a couple jars of tomato sauce and rinsed them out with really hot water. Then I filled them up with hot water and put the lids and rings back on. When I went to wash them the next morning, I took the rings off and found that they had sealed overnight so if I ever need to, I will reuse them.

Latest posts