Anyone sell their apple crop?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have an orchard of 16 trees of assorted kinds of apples. They are loaded, healthy and will be delicious (if last year is any judge of their flavor). I would like to sell the entire crop and have no reference from which to draw about pricing. I have used no pesticides or chemicals of any kind. I advertised and had one fellow come and inspect the crop. He wants them for making cider. He said he would call with an estimate but, quite frankly, I wouldn't know if it were a good offer or not! I did a search online but could not find a price guide and I'm sure they are all relative anyway, according to type of apple, size, amount on the tree, etc. Anyone out there ever did this?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, the ad just came out this week and the harvest is a long way off (2 months!), so I'm sure he won't be the only taker! ;)

I had so many people stop, uninvited, last year at my house wanting to get apples, that it drove me crazy. Some wanted to buy, most wanted to "just pick some off the ground" for their deer, some had been used to coming and getting this crop whenever they wanted as this house was not occupied last year. I don't know if I have the equipment or the manpower to pick them myself and there are so many, they may go to waste before I can sell them at the roadside. We have no farmer's market locally and I wouldn't have the time to man a booth (single mom, two jobs).

Last year I gave away to all the neighbors and people with families that needed them for food....I didn't have much sympathy for the guys who rolled up in my yard, blew their car horn, shouted toward the house that they just "needed some deer apples, who do I talk to?" For those people, I said the apples were for sale! Can't bear rudeness!

So....my solution to all the invasions on my privacy was to try and sell the crop to one individual. Or, possibly, have a U-pick sort of thing that is only open on certain days. I wouldn't even know what to charge for a U-pick type of thing. Hence the question! ;)

Chiefs Mess

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi
Don't know if this is too late but here goes. We go up the Mts here in VA for apples every year. Now if the old memory is right we paid $17.00 for Golden Del. Now for the life of me cannot remember if that was a 1/2 bushel or full bushel.
Have you tried searching on line for Orchards in your state/area and see what they will be selling apples for this fall? How about the Coopertive Ext. in your area?

This past weekend we bought Peaches for $17.50 a peck. I thought that was HIGH but, they were soooooo good.
Maybe the apples were a peck last year also. Hard to say since the gas prices jumped since then.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't know if this will help you or not, but we go to a U- pick place every year and pick, macintosh,cortland,gala,and a bunch of others depending on availabililty.
They charge $20.00 per bushel or what they call the "big bag" which holds approx. 20lbs.
When I first started going there 16 years ago they were getting $16.00 and then it went up a little bit over the years until it was $24.00
Now its down to $20.00.
I think you would do well as a pick your own type, just put up flyers where ever you can with the dates and times.
You have to supply the type of bags you want to use and then you don't have to worry about picking.
I would put up a sign letting people know that they are not welcome to inquire about the apples or trespass and if you decide to do pick your own then you could post the days and times they would be welcome to come by and purchase apples.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, guys!!! That gives me something from which to go on. I think I will sort of do a little picking of my own for a couple of the festivals around here in the fall and then, when people come to ask about picking apples, I will post a sign where they can easily read it, about certain days this will be available.

Good ideas, all around, folks! I just love this forum!

My apples aren't as good as last year, but I may still be able to make a little off them. Nothing like clear profit to make me smile! :D

Latest posts