Anyone using Growstuff to track planting and harvesting?

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Every year I say I'm going to get better about tracking what seeds I started, when I repotted them, where I planted them, and what I harvested.

I usually start with a spreadsheet from the Better Hens and Gardens site and it goes well for a while... then I stop. I've tried a few of the things like the Mother Earth News Vegetable Garden Planner, but I don't want to draw boxes on the screen, I just want to enter the data. Another problem with most online planners is that you can't get your data back *out* or do anything with it other than view it within their application.

Enter... Growstuff. I recently found out about this, and I'm actually planning to get involved with the development of it. It's an open source and open data platform to track planting and harvesting. So not only can I track stuff, I can see what others near me are doing, and use their data if I want to.

Have a look and see if you think it might help you, too! http://growstuff.org

-Wendy

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Wendy :).

I've used Evernote some but I'm not sure how it is different from sending notes from my phone to my emailbox except that I can add, delete and edit later.

That's something but I'll have to explore Growstuff. It's wonderful that it is specifically for gardeners.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@wsmoak that looks so cool! I will definitely go exploring. BTW, I am growing Voilet's Multicolored Butterbeans again this year. I already have my seed saved for next year. I am so glad that you posted about them! This Growstuff looks like it will be the answer to all of our non-organizational skills. You don't post a lot, but when you do, it is always good! :thumbsup

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gonna check that out. So far, I just prefer to sketch and take notes in a composition notebook I keep for that purpose. Gotta keep my brain somewhere. There is so much value to keeping track of all of that stuff and making note of what performed well from year to year. But inevitably somebody will get a hold of it and make a little scribble on each.and.every.blank.page. LOL

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm hoping there will be smartphone apps for Growstuff eventually -- that's about the only way I am actually going to capture the data.

But first the web app needs more features and the API has to get done. :)

-Wendy

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been using MyFolia for about eight years and it keeps me organized in all my gardening tasks from seed to harvest. It is a free program, the the bells and whistles are worth the small annual fee to join.

Latest posts