Anything Special with Parsnips?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
From pulling the first few, I will have nice parsnips this year - Andover.

They aren't the most familiar vegetable to me and I have had bad years with bad variety choices (I think).

Sliced and sauteed ... roasted with beef. In stew ... gotta be careful there since it might be easy to fill more than half the pot with one parsnip!

I also like sauteed carrots. About the best I can come up with is to put the two together. Any other ideas??

& don't just tell me you don't like them, or something silly like that.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Doing the Whole Foods search, I came up with a Roasted Vegetable Stew with White Beans.

These people know the content of my larder!! Leeks, celery root, carrots, and parsnips ... I can substitute Soldier beans for the Great Northern. Roast the veggies in the oven then, in the pot they go!

With so much celery root this year, it would seem strange using parsnips with mashed potatoes ... I could use both. The combination with carrots sounds good, similar flavors.

:) Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I came home this afternoon from doing clean-up in the shady corner of the little veggie garden. (Plants all pulled and underground ... some were alive but that corner won't have sun now until April!!) Anyway, I cleaned the celery root I brought, began peeling the parsnip, and somewhere along in there, I looked at the recipe for Roasted Vegetables and Bean Stew ...

Uh oh, I forgot to soak some beans ...

Never mind! I remember someone (@Smart Red :)) saying potatoes go well with parsnips. I just substituted potatoes!

Such a wonderful one pot meal! I even did a double down on the spuds and crumbled sour cream and onion potato chips instead of bread crumbs on the stew. Mmmm mm!

Steve
also used beef broth instead of water

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, that was Martha. I just passed it on to you. I am glad the one pot meal was a success! Keep up with the parsnip attempts and I just might put them in the garden again.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh well. That Martha likely gets entirely too much credit. Can you imagine the folks around her(e) giving credit to Martha?

Anyway, I didn't take a picture of the stew. But, here is a picture from the other day:
IMG_20151011_122227681.jpg
Today, I used more parsnips than were called for and less carrots. Just the two together was a super combo last week. Hard to believe that I didn't think of that before ...

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just wanted to keep the record straight, Steve. No doubt Martha got the idea from someone else who didn't get the credit (or perhaps I forgot who Martha said gave her the recipe). Anyway, thanks for the new recipe suggestion.

Latest posts