Aphids?!

ChickenMomma91

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So my SBG is over run with this tiny smaller than a pinhead red bugs! DH says they're aphids, I'll get a picture later. I know ladybugs are the best thing for aphids so what can I plant around the SBG to attract ladybugs???

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What's SBG? And ladybugs are the best thing for aphids, just don't kill the larve stage, they are black and red striped, look horrible, but eat lots of aphids. In the meantime, hit the aphids with a jet stream from the water hose.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually it sounds like they may be spider mites. They may have been in the straw.
Ladybugs will also eat mites, if you can convince them to hang around. I had no joy keeping them on an aphid infested tree last summer, and I bought three separate batches and followed all the tips and tricks.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tiny red bugs sounds more like spider mites. Aphids are more white, off-white, or light green. Neither is good for your plant, however. Washing them off with a stream of water can work. A dab of Isopropyl rubbing alcohol on the end of a Q-tip will work for mites as well.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Or rather, Isopropyl rubbing alcohol on the end of a Q-tip and rubbed over the offending mites may work. Wetting Q-tip alone won't do much more than get the cotton wet for a while. (Sheepish grin here.)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are aphids in nearly every color, so a picture ID is the best bet.
But spider mites are much much smaller than aphids, so that could be a clue.

Latest posts