Apple Tree Questions

Blue Raptor

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hey guys!
New over here- I came from BYC under the same name. :)

I have some questions about an apple tree I'm growing (I started it out as a seed as it's been doing well I believe!)
There seems to be some fuzz (which I don't believe is dust..) on the uppermost leaves. It's a over a foot tall now, and I have been growing it indoors. The top leaves seem a bit droopy now as well.
Should I repot it yet or move it outside? Do you think it needs more sun or water, or it it just getting ready for winter? (The container it's in is about a foot tall btw.)
1697043568854.jpeg

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey guys!
New over here- I came from BYC under the same name. :)

I have some questions about an apple tree I'm growing (I started it out as a seed as it's been doing well I believe!)
There seems to be some fuzz (which I don't believe is dust..) on the uppermost leaves. It's a over a foot tall now, and I have been growing it indoors. The top leaves seem a bit droopy now as well.
Should I repot it yet or move it outside? Do you think it needs more sun or water, or it it just getting ready for winter? (The container it's in is about a foot tall btw.)
View attachment 61375
Welcome to the forum from the Pacific Northwest! I don't know anything about apple tree growing either. However, I did grow a couple apple trees from seed in pots and then transferred them into my garden. They seemed to be doing well, but we moved from that house so I don't know how they are doing now!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you want to keep the tree i would plant it outside and early fall is a good time to do it.

sadly, apples grown from seeds are rarely very edible so unless you are expecting sour apples for making hard cider they are likely to not be very good for fresh eating.

Blue Raptor

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Good questions. I know nothing about apple trees. But I wanted to say welcome to TEG!
Thank you!
if you want to keep the tree i would plant it outside and early fall is a good time to do it.

sadly, apples grown from seeds are rarely very edible so unless you are expecting sour apples for making hard cider they are likely to not be very good for fresh eating.
Okay, thank you!
It’s alright, I was mostly growing it for fun, and I know we’ll be moving away from the house in 2 years.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Agreed, plant it outside Now. Be sure to plant just as deep as the roots, 3x as wide AND plant the base of the roots 2 inches higher than the soil. The soil will sink down signifigantly. Mulch it in,
I may have slowly killed my cherryt tree bc I planted it too deep.
:welcome from Illinois.

Blue Raptor

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Agreed, plant it outside Now. Be sure to plant just as deep as the roots, 3x as wide AND plant the base of the roots 2 inches higher than the soil. The soil will sink down signifigantly. Mulch it in,
I may have slowly killed my cherryt tree bc I planted it too deep.
:welcome from Illinois.
Okay, thank you!

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The fuzz you are seeing is most likely wooly aphids. Ants will carry them to feed on new growth and are easy to treat organicly.

Just for fun search for "aphid and ant relationship" It's kind of an amazing relationship they have.
Screenshot_20231206_211535_Brave.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Latest posts