Apple tree with black rot

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have an apple tree (well, it's really more of a sapling), in our backyard. We have had it for almost two years now. Last fall, one of our dogs tore off several branches so it was looking pretty sorry. We were hoping it would get some good growth like our nectarine and plums have done (they were both bare-root trees when we planted them a year ago). The other two trees have taken off really well and have lots of new growth, their trunks have at least tripled in size and they have buds all over the place.

However, I noticed that the apple in back hasn't put out any new branches, it only has a couple buds and hasn't gotten any taller. When I looked closer, I saw that it has a couple places on the trunk where the bark has peeled back and the wood looks burned and cracked. I looked up apple tree diseases online and it appears that it probably has black rot.
154fs232528.gif
I read on one site that sometimes it can be cut off, but this is a small tree and the affected area is the main trunk below any of the branches. Any recommendations or should we start shopping for a new tree?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You have the option of treating it, but for such a young tree... it is really a lot of damage to come back from. It honestly doesn't seem possible it will make it.

Plus, look at it this way, if that tree was to be treated this season... you would have to wait until next season to see any real improvements, then it also may have stunt its growth, so it could be a couple extra years until fruit can be bared. So is your time and treatment and wait worth it? Or would you rather remove and replant it now.

Because late winter and fall are the best time for plantings you should make a decision now to replant or wait.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just planted a pear... and long as you have a second pair of a different kind within a 1/4 mile, it should do good.