Apple Tree's - When To Prune

stano40

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
A little over 3 years ago my daughter surprised me for my birthday with 2 apple trees.

I could have sworn she told me one was a "Gala" & the other a "Red Delicious". I asked her today if she remembered what they were and she thought they were a Mackintosh and a Red Delicious.

I guess she doesn't remember what they are. They have grown very little and have not blossomed yet.

I'm not sure if I need to prune the bottom limbs or let them continue to grow for a couple of more years.

016.jpg

Is there a way to determine what type of apple tree they are?

bob/Maine

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well here's my question... how much sun are they getting? They look rather shaded over by much bigger trees? Generally a fruit tree is full sun, and that is best described as 6+ hours a day... though I think 8 or more do them best. :tools

They look like they need no pruning at all to me. If you were to prune, save it for when they are dormant... late winter.

In fact, most fruit trees are likely to start producing by year 3. Have yours had any blooms at all?

Also, check your soil, have it tested. You may need to have fertilizer your trees (again, best when they are dormant, late winter before they wake up). I also think a good thick layer of mulch yearly will help with moisture and the mulch will break down and feed the trees as the season ends. :watering

Personally, it looks like they need to be moved to a much sunnier spot. :coolsun

Good luck... and :welcome if I hadn't said it before.

stano40

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The photo was taken in the evening and they do get at least 6 hours of full sun.

Last late fall they were supposed to be moved from my garden area to a better location but I lost my help and they had to remain where they are for this summer. I do know to prune and move apple trees during their dormant stage (late Fall & Winter).

Is there a better fertilizer for fruit trees to use other than the stick variety? There has only been one year so far that I remember that they had blossoms.

bob

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just mound up some compost and horse manure when they are dormant and then put the mulch on top. They do fine for me!

stano40

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I would agree that completely composted material would be beneficial, but I've read somewhere that using manure around fruit trees would cause the fruit to absorb the manure's un-beneficial properties and could pose a health risk.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
stano40 said:
I would agree that completely composted material would be beneficial, but I've read somewhere that using manure around fruit trees would cause the fruit to absorb the manure's un-beneficial properties and could pose a health risk.
Well composted manure can be mixed correctly into your everyday compost pile. It should have any ill effects when done properly. I wouldn't use anything that came from a sick animal.

Latest posts