1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Cuor di Bue ou Oxheart / Heart of Beef tomato - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Apple tree's?

Discussion in 'Trees & Shrubs' started by Lickbranchfarm, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Feb 12, 2018
    majorcatfish

majorcatfish Garden Master

2. Feb 13, 2018
    Lickbranchfarm

Lickbranchfarm Deeply Rooted

Good info, I did some looking on the county extension, looks like the three trees that will work good for my area and compliment each other are Fuji's, Honeycrisp, and Pink lady's. I guess I got lucky cause I like all 3, especially the pink lady's. Can only find them for a short period at the flea market, 10$ a bag, but they are sooooo good. Thanks for your help guys!

Nyboy likes this.
  3. Feb 14, 2018
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    I can only add what I heard on Mid American Gardener last week, when a caller wondered if his apple tree was a goner. Rabbits had eaten all of the bark off of the bottom of it. They suggested hardware cloth or chicken wire around the base and several inches from the trunk of the tree to keep the rabbits at bay. It was all the way down to the quick on the caller's tree, so they also suggested harvesting firewood from it and starting over.
    Use 3-4 wide hardware cloth/chicken wire so that the rabbits cannot climb a snowdrift and nibble it away. You can find the wider wire at a hardware store.