Apples, apples, apples ...

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
One thing I have read about fruit trees is that with new varieties they are ungrowable without all the pesticides that growers use because they were developed using all of these products. I would keep an eye out for varieties that are disease resistant if there is such a tree. Also visit local orchards and see what they grow. In New Britain Ct. where I grew up Rodgers orchard has developed trees grown like espalier. This saves space so the trees are closer together, they are kept short for ease of picking. Old varieties may be just what you need but I would do the research.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
One thing I have read about fruit trees is that with new varieties they are ungrowable without all the pesticides that growers use because they were developed using all of these products. I would keep an eye out for varieties that are disease resistant if there is such a tree. Also visit local orchards and see what they grow. In New Britain Ct. where I grew up Rodgers orchard has developed trees grown like espalier. This saves space so the trees are closer together, they are kept short for ease of picking. Old varieties may be just what you need but I would do the research.
Exactly. Newer varieties are dependent on "help"! LOL The site I found has old varieties, some from the 1700's, most from the 1800's. If these varieties can survive this long, they must have something going for them. It's worth checking into.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Agreed. The trade for production seems to be "help". But I think because that level of production per plant narrows the margin of error and increases pressure on the plant.

Keep us posted

Sam BigDeer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Apple trees........ I want to plant apple trees...... found this really great site for old southern apple varieties, some of which started up north, but do well in the south.

http://centuryfarmorchards.com/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks very much for this link, Bay; I've been looking for apple trees that will grow and produce in the deep south..
Sam

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks very much for this link, Bay; I've been looking for apple trees that will grow and produce in the deep south..
Sam
You are so welcome. I was so excited to find this site. Some of these varieties date to the 1700's. It is a wonderful work these people are doing, so that we can grow an apple that comes from a long heritage of hundreds of years. You can plant different varieties so that you stagger harvest from mid summer through November!

We haven't even closed on our new place yet and I already have an orchard planted, grown and harvested---all in my mind's eye! Now I guess my mind better get busy building that root cellar! :lol:

Latest posts