Apples in Florida?

quadcam79

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
the other day I was discussing making apple butter and cider with a friend of mine . "We cant grow apples here in North Florida, "it doesnt get cold enough" she said.

Well, not being one to take no for an answer I did some research and found out theres are 3 varieties of apples that can be grown here.

from just fruits & exotics website "Like peaches, nectarines and plums, apples need a certain amount of winter chill to set fruit. Florida's hot, humid summers also limit us to the summer ripening varieties, as low chill fall ripeners usually rot before ripening.

The first true breakthrough in apples came with the Israeli releases ANNA and EIN SHEMER. ANNA has proven itself to be one of the very best for our region. And it's now being used in Dr. Wayne Sherman's University of Florida breeding program, which released TROPIC SWEET and hopefully many more to come."

not only that I found varieties of Banana tress that produce edible friut and a ton of other really cool things that I can grow here. I'll be getting rid of pine trees and starting an orchard in no time.

just a small list of things that will grow well in my area.
Apples, Bananas Pears, Peaches, Plums, Nectarines,Persimmons,Figs, Muscadine Grapes,blackberries, blueberries. Kiwi, Mayhaw, Jujube, Asian Pear, Quince, Pomegranate,Olive, and Paw-Paw ane even Pineapple

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow, that is quite a list. Good luck with your orchard. I have figs, asian pears, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries. I thought I was doing good.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Absolutely! I have a friend in Bakersfield who has apple trees! That's a shocker if you think they all need cold! lol!

Good luck! :)

Latest posts