Aquaponic Fishtank

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Petsmart near me is closing, everything in store is discounted. I couldn't pass up a hydroponic fish tank for $10 I actually bought 2. There is a filter and a space for plant with clay pebbles. Fish is suppose to feed the plant, plant suppose to help clean water for fish. I saw some nice begonias at Home depot. @jackb can a plant growing in soil be used for hydroponics or does plant need to be started from seed for hydroponics ? Tank is only 3 1/2 gallons so maybe a betta or guppy.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
What you are referring to is actually aquaponics, hydroponic systems do not rely on fish for nutrients. I guess it would depend on what plant you intend to grow. Plants grown hydroponically have different roots than those grown in soil. If you look closely at the roots of hydroponically grown plants you will see many fine hairs coming off the roots, not so with soil grown plants. You would be best starting the seed in something like rockwool or horticubes. If you want to try a plant you should get a seedling and completely clean ALL SOIL from the roots before introducing it into your system. The younger the better... Good luck.
jackb

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
upload_2017-5-8_8-54-0.png

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Any cutting that would root in water should do well in your container. I usually start my cuttings in perlite rather than just water. Remember to use well water rather than city water for both plant and fish.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I picked up 3 guppies last night. I have to go back and buy a small heater for them. Funny tiny heater cost more then tank. I still have not decided on a plant to try. I thought a water iris but think it will get to tall and flop over. Unless anyone knows of a dwarf iris ? Problem is I don't like house plants want something that will flower

Latest posts