are my cucumbers dead?

heather smith

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I transplanted 3 cucumber plants about 2 weeks ago into my raised beds. Some of the leaves then turned white and shriveled and some of the stems are now broken. They did have a few blooms but those fell off and nothing has changed at all since. Haven't seen any growth at

Attachments

• 20150505_122422.jpg
    20150505_122422.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 156

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hmmm, they look pretty green to call them dead. I wonder if they got some sunburn when they got transplanted out. Lots of plants take a break and don't visibly grow for some time after transplant, give them another week or 2 and see what happens!

heather smith

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you, I also have a potted tomato plant that's leaves are yellowing from the bottom up that is worrying me. I'm from Massachusetts but now living in coastal north carolina so this climate is brand new to me and I'm coming across issues in the garden I never have before

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome heather smith :frow ! Like NwMtGardener suggested it might be sun scald. Be particularly careful about watering if the sun is out - it is a lot stronger in NC than MA. Also, watch out for commercial compost (since it sounds like you just started a new garden :)) - there have been a lot of reports of herbicide contamination making it through and affecting plants like peas, beans, cucumbers and tomatoes. Good luck with your plants - let us know how they do!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you harden off the plants before planting? You can also lightly lay a little straw over them just to create a little shade for the first week or so.

heather smith

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I bought the cucumber already started in small pots from the garden center and they were out in the sun and elements. For the beds I used a mixture of peat moss, garden soil, and black cow. I started 3 of my own tomato plants that are doing just fine, but the tomato plant I purchased already potted seems to be having trouble. The cucumbers seem to perk up a little after watering and after the sun is setting. Should I add any other fertilizer at all? I have been watering at sundown hoping not to burn the leaves. We are supposed to get a tropical storm here over the next 3 days so I'm trying to make some type of shelter for them now. Dang NC is more complicated than MA!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
The soil mix sounds good, I don't think they need fertilizer. Just time as NwMtGardener said. I like the straw Idea , too

heather smith

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I was worried

Latest posts