Are my raspberry/blackberry plants dead?

bigbad

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Update...

My two Apache blackberry plants are beginning to show signs of life. I don't see any leaves, but I see something small sticking out... I don't know what they call those? It's where you know that when it grows, leaves will unfold... like a flower. It unfolds like a butterfly at some point, and then grows bigger from there.

Well, I see those on the blackberry plants.

However, there's still that one Caroline raspberry plant that's MIA. I really think that one's dead...

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I recently got some bare-root berry bushes like you, and some of the literature that came with them said that they ship them when they are dormant, it might take 4-6 weeks before they show some signs of life. So there's still hope for that last straggler! :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes.... those blackberries and raspberries can be quite slow, but they are worried about root strength before growth so some time WAY longer then others. If it helps, I transplanted 8 my neighbor cut down and gave me the bare roots for. Took me a few days to get them in the ground, but I did get in all 8.

Well one I was sure was pretty much dead and didn't make the transplant because I planted in February and all the other ones have new growth now but that one. Then this morning... tiny little red/green colored leaf bud is starting to swell at the base of the little guy. So after all that waiting, has to be past 6 weeks now.... it came back to life! :D

So don't give up on it! Give it another month. ;)

Latest posts