Are pear trees notoriously late producers, and do they always flower?

littlelemon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I planted 2 pear trees and 2 apple trees 5 springs ago when we moved to our current location. I was a newbie to trees, and I did not protect the trunks. The following winter deer stripped bark from the tree trunks, and two springs later all of the trees were dead except for 1 pear tree.

The pear tree that I have left has grown very well (yes I did protect the trunk after that first winter). However, it has never flowered in the spring in the 5 years I have had it. Even when I had the other pear tree (which I bought for pollination) it never flowered. I kind of gave up on it and just assumed that it was mislabeled, and I really didn't get a pear, but a nice ornamental shade tree.

Well, I have been doing some research on pear trees lately, and it seems that pears are late producers (as in 5-10 years to bear fruit depending on variety) and I have read some articles about pear trees not even flowering for several years after planting. I can't believe that I may actually get something off of this tree! What's funny is that I don't even remember what variety this pear tree is. I actually gave up on it, and I even started a little orchard in another part of my yard because I thought the original spot wasn't as friendly to pollination.

What is your experience with pear trees? Do they not always bloom each spring?

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a pear tree and it always flowers. I had pears 2 years after I planted it. Sometimes the blossoms freeze off because of our weird weather, but it has been a good producer. Last year it was LOADED with pears.

I wish I knew what kind it was. It was an end of season, clearance, Charlie Brown tree. Maybe it is just producing so much out of sheer gratitude? :D

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I would think you're going to have to remember at least the two cultivars that you originally ordered, so you know it's either one or the other. That way, you can check back with the original nursery (or another) and find it another pollinator. Flowers are lovely, fruits are better! And good luck too ;)

littlelemon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well, guess what? That pear tree has some flowers this year! I cannot believe it. After 5 years it finally blooms. The blooms are few, they are mostly at the top of the tree (which is about 9 feet tall), and a few in the middle of the tree. I wonder if it took a couple of years to recover from the deer/bark eating incident, and finally it is vigorous again enough to produce flowers.

Latest posts