Are you hooked on canning too?

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I'm the only one hooked on canning. I expanded my gardens this year and planted lots more veggies then I usually would to be able to can some food. As the gardens grew and began to put out fruit I'm finding myself canning everything I can. I've been harvesting everything from cucumbers, tomatoes, beets, green beans and everything under the sun. As the weekend approaches I'm planning my next batch of canned goods and find myself spending Saturday or Sunday at the stove with pots and jars. I'm finding it almost addictive and my pantry is getting full and I'm loving every minute of it, am I getting to obsessed or does this happen to everyone who starts canning??? :D BTW, I'm up to about 250 jars canned so far this year...

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think what you are doing is wise and if you enjoy it then even more so. I only wish my garden was productive enough to do a lot of canning. A few jars of crushed tomatoes is all ive had to spare. The rest has been just enough to feed me. My goal is to get to the level you are at, as part of my self sufficient lifestyle. I live off grid, and no bills except for gas and food. There is a natural instinct to hoard food for future use. I see nothing wrong with taking it to the extreme, especially considering the current economy.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that's great Trunkman . I haven't canned yet, but I can see how success at it would build enthusiasm. It's a good addiction to have! :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm gearing up for a bunch of canning here in the next couple of weeks, trunkman. It is a thrill to see those beautiful, colorful jars all in a row and know that your hard work had everything to do with it. I'm glad you're having fun while stocking up. It's a good attitude to have. Nothing tastes better than what you grew yourself. :) You are quite a bit ahead of me in season. You'll probably be done before I half get started!

I don't think you can overdo it either, like Sunsaver said--in this current economy. If properly stored out of the light and at a cool temperature, most anything you can will still be edible at least 3 years later. Ol' BBB says to only keep it one year, but that has more to do with the quality, not the edibility.

My 76-year-old neighbor and I have been comparing notes on canning, swapping recipes and such. She taught me how to can brown beans. We're both concerned about the expected hike in the cost of food that they say is coming up and we've been like a couple of squirrels this summer. She's going to run over to Ohio with me next week to see what we can buy by the bushel to can, tomatoes, corn, etc. Even stuff from the grocery store, if you can get it on sale and stock up, is a great way to build your pantry.

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It's a very, very long story. It started with my electricity getting cut for being late on my bill, but without any disconnect notice, and on a monday morning when i was broke. I had to live without electricty for 5 days. To top it off, the lady at the evil powercompany monopoly was very rude to me. I decided that next time i would be the one to cut them off. They made me so angry that i decided i would never depend on some one else for my electricity needs ever again. Five days in the dark can turn a solar power dreamer into a solar soldier. My entire journey is documented in my online journal on the sufficient self forum. I built an ice box, got LEDS lights, plumbed in a wash tub with a drain and spigot for filling with water, made a clothes line, put all of my high-powered appliances in the guest bedroom, got a 9watt TV and 12watt fan, lots of crazy stuff that a wife would never have allowed.
But i did it. I'll never pay another light bill again! My solar rig is expandable, so i can add panels and batteries as i need them. I'd like to have the microwave back. That's the only appliance that i really miss. And a window unit a/c. That would be nice. When i have enough solar panels, i can hook these appliances back up.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet you would want that a/c down south. What's your weather been like lately?

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I'm gearing up for a bunch of canning here in the next couple of weeks, trunkman. It is a thrill to see those beautiful, colorful jars all in a row and know that your hard work had everything to do with it. I'm glad you're having fun while stocking up. It's a good attitude to have. Nothing tastes better than what you grew yourself. :) You are quite a bit ahead of me in season. You'll probably be done before I half get started!

I don't think you can overdo it either, like Sunsaver said--in this current economy. If properly stored out of the light and at a cool temperature, most anything you can will still be edible at least 3 years later. Ol' BBB says to only keep it one year, but that has more to do with the quality, not the edibility.

My 76-year-old neighbor and I have been comparing notes on canning, swapping recipes and such. She taught me how to can brown beans. We're both concerned about the expected hike in the cost of food that they say is coming up and we've been like a couple of squirrels this summer. She's going to run over to Ohio with me next week to see what we can buy by the bushel to can, tomatoes, corn, etc. Even stuff from the grocery store, if you can get it on sale and stock up, is a great way to build your pantry.
If you could see the shelving I built this past spring and how I've stocked it with canned goods I bought and the over 200 jars I've canned and the freezer I've filled up with meat your eyes would pop....I'm with you, the economy is looking bad and the price of food is going sky high so it's storing big time for me...:)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's awesome! :thumbsup

We've got deer season coming up before too long. If you hunt, are you going to can any venison? I love it canned best of all. :drool

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It's very hot and humid, but i'm used to it. I wear a wet t-shirt, and sit in the shade all day, surfing on my solar powered netbook, and sipping iced tea. At night, i lay on top of the comforter in a wet t-shirt, with my little fan and tv on, while surfing and watching tv, back and forth. I feel quite comfortable right now, sipping vodka, and i'm not sweating at all.