Are your apples ready yet?

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It seems early for apples, but mine look really close to being ready. We've picked a couple and eaten them. They're not quite sweet enough, but they're still pretty good. I don't know the varieties - the trees are old and came with the property. One might be Golden Delicious. We're in Central Illinois, and I'm used to having apples in September/October.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Apples are the one thing that did well this year, for us. We have golden delicious and northern spy. Both trees are heavy with fruit. I will have to try a sample tomorrow... Enjoy your harvest! Dh can hardly wait for an apple pie, made from our own apples!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have one variety -- a yellow apple -- that started falling off the tree early in July. NOW I know they ripen far earlier than the other varieties. Two of my dwarf trees are absolutely loaded down with fruit. I fear there are some split branches on these trees. The John-a-free are better tasting, but it's still too early and the other is way too tart and hard. That's going to be ripe much later.

The pears are getting close to ripening. Someone here asked how to tell when to harvest pears. Well, I remembered how to tell if pears are ripe! Slightly twist the fruit and if the stem breaks the pear is ready for harvest. It will still be hard and need to finish ripening.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think mine are very close. I came home last night from working out of town and noticed the deer are sampling them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smart Red said:
We have one variety -- a yellow apple -- that started falling off the tree early in July. NOW I know they ripen far earlier than the other varieties. . .
Lodi, Linn?

I don't have apple trees but drive thru "Otis Orchards" all the time. A sad commentary on the food industry: the only orchard there is about 5 acres. Largest apple producing state in the nation (Washington State) and the big orchards have sucked all the potential out of some of the traditional locations.

Anyway, Lodi is a very early variety that probably has zero commercial value these days. I do see the very first Gala at the farmers' market - from Yakima. Had one for breakfast :p.

Good to see Schmije here! Talk about old homesteads :)?

Steve

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
MontyJ said:
I think mine are very close. I came home last night from working out of town and noticed the deer are sampling them.
They are ready and we got about 3/4 of a bushel. Monty and I are making apple pie filling today. Not sure what else he is going to do with them. The house smells great. :D

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, they are Lodi. This was their first year of fruiting. The other apples are NOT ready although I won't be too much longer before I am inundated. Picked a few pears yesterday. They are nearly ready to harvest as well. I'm tired just thinking of being up to my armpits in fruit!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
it's early enough for a couple varieties here in the north . one of our local pick your own farms has Jersey Macs ready for picking and i think there was one other variety they said was ready. there are some apples that like to be stored a couple months in a cold area before they are ready or sweet enough for eating.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't know what kind of apple we have, but I know one thing, this is the first year we have got apples from it. last year it didn't have much on it, and the only decent apple we had our grand daughter picked. She picked it and said "here pap pap I picked your apple for you"

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have two apple trees. The larger is a Jonathan, the new pollinator is a Fuji. The Jonathan is six years old and this is it's first real production year.

Latest posts