ARGGG!!!! Fire ants have taken over my compost pile

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I went to turn my compost pile ( like I do twice weekly) and found it over run with fire ants. Or what I think are fire ants. I know that they bit me (ALOT) and it burned (ALOT) and then it swelled (ALOT). Now what? How do I get my pile back? If I put the fire ant killer pesticide on my pile then what will happen to the comopost? Would I still be able to use it in my garden? I have been nursing that pile for months.... why? why ? Why? :( :(

CottageGardener123

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'll try my best to help.
Fire ants? where do you live? Fire ant's are pests. My suggestion would be to dothis. If they are on a trail put some grease/butter on a string and "guide" them away somewhere else. As for putting in pestecide. I wouldn't, becuase there are other bugs in there such as worms, pill bugs, ect. that help break down the soil.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Could you mostly-fill a tub or muck-bucket with slightly soapy water, then go in there Real Fast with a shovel and pitch several shovelsful of the heart of their hill/nest into the tub, hopefully drowning the queen. I have seen this recommended for dealing with them in the garden anyhow... couldn't hurt, as long as you can be fast enough not to get bit.

Good luck,

Pat, Real Glad to live well north of fire ant territory (I believe they are now in areas of NC where I used to live but they weren't there then)

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I may try that in a bit... but right now I am so not interested in ever going out there again.. (my gosh do they BURN). I am south east Louisiana and I think it is an infestation.... I am actively searching the net to try to get them but I think I'll have my DH do the deed....

I thought I had a "hot" pile. I have actually seen steam rising as I turned it in the heat of august. And when I step in it (cause I love how warm it is) it is quite hot. How can they live in that?

katz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Some people use uncooked grits sprinkled on the mounds but living in Texas,I have found nothing natural or organic that work's here so, I do use "Over'n Out", a scant amount on each mound every spring and it almost wipes them out for the season. I hate to use pesticides but sometimes it's necessary as there are so many fire ants here that they will kill newborn chicks,calves and goats.
The fire ants are one reason I dont compost ,as I just go outside and dig a nice hole in the garden and bury it, it's odorless and out of site and no fire ants. Living in SE Louisiana ,stuff will compost fast if you bury it, be sure and put all those fish,crab and shrimp scraps bury in your garden as I had the best garden I have ever had while living there , I had raised beds because of tree roots and not rocks .. :rolleyes:

katz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
If you use Over'n Out ? I would just use about 1 teaspoon sprinkled over where the ants are and then let it set all winter,as much rain as you get , it should be leached all out of the pile. If you want to turn the pile ,wait about 2-3 weeks before doing it as you want those ants dead or gone.

You could use less bait IF your fireant hill is smaller in size. You can mix the bait with sand as it will sprinkle farther with the sand added. This is just what I do but you may want to try something else as I bury my compost stuff and use the bait on my lawn , you could use the compost stuff that you used the bait in ,for non food stuff like flowers and grapes or fruit tree mulch.

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have heard some use cornmeal for ants. I don't know about fire ants, though. I would just sprinkle it on top and not disturb them. If you disturb them, they go into attack mode and are not interested in eating or carrying it back to the queen.