Argh! Not the flower it was supposed to be!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Remember all those calla lily bulbs my neighbor 'gifted' me?! Well, they were odd bulbs as they did not quite look like the calla lily bulbs to me... but I took her word on it...

and I planted 40+ of these to have 12 come up, and the rest die back.... and they are NOT CALLA LILIES!!!!!!!! :barnie I can't believe I spent HOURS putting these into the ground. Grrrrrrrrrr

They are these:

hawaii-red-ginger1t.jpg

Hawaii Red Ginger Plant

These soooooooooooooo do not go with my cottage garden theme!? Should I rip them up now, or wait until the die back.... dig them up in the fall or spring and give them away?! I mean... I guess I could get them to fit in around the pond or something... but I HAVE to move them out of the front yard. They just DO NOT GO!!!! :tongue

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I am sorry that happened, but they look beautiful!! Are you sure you can't make them work, with your theme? Can we see a pic of the whole thing? Maybe it is not as bad as you think????

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
that's disapointing! It would be nice if you could save them for someone else who make like them.

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:ep Oh My Goodness, Sorry they were not what you were told they were. :/

They are very pretty though :D :love

Maybe as lesa said you can find a corner or spot they would fit? Like you said by the pond .

It would be a shame to waste such pretty blooms. :rainbow-sun

But I can see that they won't fit a Cottage garden, more a tropical type.

If you dig them up later this fall I would love to have a couple :love hint hint ;)

:happy_flower Karan :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they would work for you Karen. I think they actually require a hotter Zone then even mine.... some of mine didn't make it and died back so I gotta hunt for those in the fall without disturbing or damaging my tulips.

I'm just bummed because most of these under up between coneflowers and blanket flower and around my mailbox where they will pop up after daffodils?! Too strange looking.... I will try to move to the pond.

I'm just disappointed because I TRULY wanted Calla Lilies!!!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
GrowinVeggiesInSC said:
vfem said:
I'm not sure if they would work for you Karen. I think they actually require a hotter Zone then even mine....
Ahem. I think I know someone who lives in a zone hotter than you. ;)
:lol:

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
GrowinVeggiesInSC said:
vfem said:
I'm not sure if they would work for you Karen. I think they actually require a hotter Zone then even mine....
Ahem. I think I know someone who lives in a zone hotter than you. ;)
:gig :gig :yuckyuck :coolsun :cool: :gig :gig

Yeap Veggie is much Hotter Stuff than I am :coolsun :gig :gig

:happy_flower Karan :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Funny part is veggie is only a few hours away from me!!! :lol: I guess I could send you a few. I really don't want to dig up and replant all 40 (though my friend Stef I am sure will take a few).

I have to show my husband these funny tropical plants... it will really blow his mind. He hasn't noticed them yet. :/ I don't know how he couldn't... they are engulfing our mailbox! LOL

I think I'm going to move them in the fall over to the pond, though they are supposed to come up in the spring to replant. However, I want to plant my saffron crocus there instead.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem,
you could still plant calla lilies if thats what you want, plenty of time left. :)

Latest posts