Argo

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, they made a movie about my neighbors' kid . . .

Okay, it seems that it is mostly a movie by and about Ben Affleck as Tony Mendez, a CIA agent. The story is about the rescue of 6 Americans in the 1979 Iran hostage crisis. Lee Schatz was one of the State Dept people and his parents lived just down 12th Street from me when I lived in Post Falls, Idaho during that time. I never met Lee altho' we are about the same age and we both attended the University of Idaho just at different times. His parents found the attention they got after the hostage situation ended a little too much, I'm sure. They moved away.

I haven't been to "Argo" but I bet it is interesting. Has anyone on TEG seen it?

They made a movie about a guy in my brother's old neighborhood. I watched that on teevee. It was about Ruby Ridge. My brother had lived just down the road from the event there but had moved about 15 miles away by the time it occurred. He worked for the Forest Service and referred to the goings on in his old neighborhood as a "snake pit." Naples, Idaho is in a beautiful place in northern Idaho.

I was living north of Post Falls and south of Naples when the Aryan Nation moved into my neighborhood. It wasn't really the reason that I moved away but I began to feel that some of my new neighbors were a little strange. I was invited to their "church" but learned a little about their thinking before I crossed the doorstep so, never showed up there. In fact, we sold to a family ironically named "White." They didn't last long but I know the reason they bought the place. It had everything to do with getting away from things and not enough to do with getting to things for the family to stay long.

Well, Lee Schatz was able to get away from things but it looked like it was considerably more of a positive than a negative. He still works for the Foreign Agricultural Service of the US government.

Rambling: Argo and the nuts . . . by the way, the U of I student newspaper is the Argonaut :).

Steve

Latest posts