Armed and fabulous

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was a senior in high school, a friend was playing the sheriff in the senior play. The day of dressed rehearsal he wore a real pistol in a holster to school. Since it was in the open he was OK, but they did make him give it to the teacher directing the play instead of him carrying it around all day. If, instead of it being in the open like he did, he had concealed it he would have broken the law.

He did not have any kind of permit for the pistol, but he did have a hunting license. He and I hunted a lot of squirrel and rabbit together.

Times have changed a bit.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a gentleman who carries his handgun all the time. I have no problems with his having it at the restaurant, but hope that in an emergency he would hand the gun off to someone younger than 85 -- hopefully someone who could see what he was aiming at.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was a senior in high school, a friend was playing the sheriff in the senior play. The day of dressed rehearsal he wore a real pistol in a holster to school. Since it was in the open he was OK, but they did make him give it to the teacher directing the play instead of him carrying it around all day. If, instead of it being in the open like he did, he had concealed it he would have broken the law.

He did not have any kind of permit for the pistol, but he did have a hunting license. He and I hunted a lot of squirrel and rabbit together.

Times have changed a bit.
As we studied American history, I would collect or write plays depicting the events in the Revolutionary War. The students loved learning history this way, the parents and other grades loved watching the plays, and the students remembered what they studied so much better.

Several of the plays required firearms. Eventually I got DH to make wooden rifles, but early on the students would bring their own bb guns for the plays. Being a small rural school in an area heavy with hunting parents, we made this work, but parents brought and picked up the guns that were stored in the principal's office until needed.

Now, even the wooden rifles would cause consternation among some teachers and many parents. That the students were extremely proper and careful with their 'props' always made me proud.

Times have certainly changed and not necessarily for the better.

Latest posts