Arrowhead found while sieving soil

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall,

Do you think it may be related to a homesite, a hunting camp, maybe to duck hunting?

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was obviously an arrow someone shot at a squirrel that got stuck in a tree and could not be retrieved. I'm sure there was some grief over loosing such a valuable item, not only useful but attractive. The tree eventually died and fell, and the tree rotted away. It was probably one of those trees that the wood lasts for decades if not centuries before it rots. This summer that rotted wood will supply nutrients to Marshall's beans.

Or maybe something that pretty was part of a dowry for a bride. It could have been worn as jewelry and accidentally lost.

Maybe red arrowheads were used for a special ceremony.

I'll stick with the squirrel story.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Squirrel!!! We need @majorcatfish in on this ;).

I'm going for the ducks.

Ducks were an important food source for people in this area. There are times of the year when they are molting, cannot fly, and like to hang out in the lakes. They were cooked down and the fat was used in cedar boxes to longer preserve the surplus ... what do you suppose roast duck seasoned with cedar would taste like ..?

The arrow may have gone into the tree - I'll give you that RidgeRunner. I'd probably prefer shooting in that direction ... given my archery skills and ability to work with a rock!

Steve
Have you ever read about this guy? Ishi (Wikipedia)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
When ya sieve soil, after each half bucket load on the sieve is sifted, there are rocks, stones, half composted sticks and such.

Also, it averages about one nail and one other usually metallic object per bucket, sometimes something plastic. After all, a good portion of my soil comes from ash out of the burn pile.

Another good portion comes from natural forest compost out of the forest, mostly at places where it piles up such as upslope of a fallen log that fell, hooooooooo, looong ago.

I am also adding in native clay soil from behind my cabin in an effort to dense up the soil for the expected drought this year.

Well, while scooping up the rocks from one of the loads of sifted soil to toss into a bucket, wow, something unexpected caught my eye!

10996490_1007700689257723_4153741668891374203_n.jpg

10559917_1007634885930970_7915832002399223282_n.jpg

It would either be Yuki or Pomo.
When ya sieve soil, after each half bucket load on the sieve is sifted, there are rocks, stones, half composted sticks and such.

Also, it averages about one nail and one other usually metallic object per bucket, sometimes something plastic. After all, a good portion of my soil comes from ash out of the burn pile.

Another good portion comes from natural forest compost out of the forest, mostly at places where it piles up such as upslope of a fallen log that fell, hooooooooo, looong ago.

I am also adding in native clay soil from behind my cabin in an effort to dense up the soil for the expected drought this year.

Well, while scooping up the rocks from one of the loads of sifted soil to toss into a bucket, wow, something unexpected caught my eye!

10996490_1007700689257723_4153741668891374203_n.jpg

10559917_1007634885930970_7915832002399223282_n.jpg

It would either be Yuki or Pomo.
Very cool....

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
totally cool and yes, a life long heirloom!

We had MiWuk indian grinding rocks on our last place. They ground the acorns there and the holes were fun to show to people.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm with @Ridgerunner on this. Someone was probably pissed at a squirrel that was stealing their berries and out of the angst shot at it. Maybe it hit, maybe it didn't, but it sure made them feel better.

Very cool find :)

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Squirrel!!! We need @majorcatfish in on this ;).

I'm going for the ducks.

Ducks were an important food source for people in this area. There are times of the year when they are molting, cannot fly, and like to hang out in the lakes. They were cooked down and the fat was used in cedar boxes to longer preserve the surplus ... what do you suppose roast duck seasoned with cedar would taste like ..?

The arrow may have gone into the tree - I'll give you that RidgeRunner. I'd probably prefer shooting in that direction ... given my archery skills and ability to work with a rock!

Steve
Have you ever read about this guy? Ishi (Wikipedia)
have put my little dig on hold till the soil dries out, last week it was crunch,crunch this week it's squish squish

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The community where I was born has a little museum (You may have heard of the Missouri Dinosaur, a duckbill type. Hypsibema missouriensis ...) that is the home of this dino, and the story of the archeological dig that found it. Anyway, there is a one armed flint knapper who occasionally puts on a demonstration at the museum. I have seen video of him. Pretty amazing. This has nothing to do with Marshall's awesome find, except in the broad way that we at TEG seem to excel at doing.

Latest posts