Arrrrhhh Not Again

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, we don't have rabbits or wood chucks here. We do have squirrels, opossums, and racoons. But the beds are all covered with netting where no animal can get in.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, this is what I used. The Sluggo does have spinosad. The ground is totally undisturbed so I don't think it's mice. The horse manure that I put on top is like a mat. You can tell that nothing has been on it.

photo (79).JPG

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Mary, how infuriatingly discouraging!

Mice are so light that you probably wouldn't see their tracks unless there was real fine dust. You could sprinkle flour around your plants to check for tracks. I would imagine even a slug or snail would leave some sort of trace in that.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can you be out after dark with a flashlight soon, Mary? I see that there is rain in the forecast for tonight. Unfortunately, there may not be too much to attract pests right now.

The baits are meant to be eaten, of course. The Sluggo is the organic that I mentioned above. It reminds me of a chicken food but is supposed to be safe for birds. Sluggo may melt in your rain.

Lilly Miller's Slug, Snail & Insect Killer Bait has carbaryl and metaldehyde. I don't know - that would probably make a mouse sick. The other would probably just rid it of fleas. Either should kill the slugs and earwigs.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope I remember to check after dark. It has to be snails or slugs. I'm just surprised they devoured everything in one night. I expected a little every night. The horse manure has formed like a solid mat so I would see if there were holes where mice might have come through. Again, I container with 3 plants had 1 plant down to the stubs.

The sad thing is that after spending over $50 in starts, I won't be planting more. Unless my husband feels bad for me and asks me to spend more money on plants. ;):D

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Suspect slugs. Poisons don't work well as they just slime the pesticides away. Look just below trash.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mulch, AG term is trash. Not meant as insult. Sorry.... From pix, doesn't look like soil.

Latest posts