Arrrrhhh Not Again

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday, I replanted my cauliflower, kale, and broccoli. I used 2 different types of snail bait and put crushed oyster shell around the perimeters of the beds. Once again this morning this is what was left. The nursery people tell me it's birds but I told them the beds are netted. The netting is very secured with staples so I can't see any animal getting in there. Also, the ground is not disturbed. There is no snail slime trails at all. Is it snails? It cost me $27 for these starts. After all I've spent, I don't know if I can afford to do this again.

photo (78).JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mice under mulch ..?

Pests under mulch, including slugs, were a problem for me.

Earwigs will shred plants, despite their reputation as omnivores. They do the same nighttime raiding as slugs and snails. There are combo baits with spinosad to kill all three. Any chance that was your bait?

The 3 like cover and without mulch, that is real apparent to me in the garden. Most of the damage will occur close to bushes and the neighbor's shed.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
How discouraging! I guess it happened overnight? Are there any droppings such as a worm would leave (pellets, dark green balls)? I hope you can figure out what it is.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
my 2 cents worth ..it's mice have hubby put 1/8"wire mesh cloth around the next starts and bury it the mesh a couple inches in the ground...
or lowes has plastic half barrels this would help on the mice problem....

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday, I replanted my cauliflower, kale, and broccoli. I used 2 different types of snail bait and put crushed oyster shell around the perimeters of the beds. Once again this morning this is what was left. The nursery people tell me it's birds but I told them the beds are netted. The netting is very secured with staples so I can't see any animal getting in there. Also, the ground is not disturbed. There is no snail slime trails at all. Is it snails? It cost me $27 for these starts. After all I've spent, I don't know if I can afford to do this again.

View attachment 10011
I don't think is snails. Too much damage. Look for Es-car-go. It worked for me. Beer really works. Sink some shallow cups in the soil so they can just fall in. See if you catch a lot. Otherwise it looks like a rabbit or wood chuck.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
The weird thing is that it doesn't happen in the spring. This is the first time I plant a fall garden and this is what I get. :barnie

I did have 3 extra broccoli plants that I planted in one of those black nursery containers. One was eaten down to the stubs, the other 2 were untouched. I don't think mice would be in that container. I'm going to move it up to the deck to see if that helps.

Mary

Latest posts