Artichokes-- Can they take over a planter?

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My wife is concerned about growing Artichokes and she is of the opinion that if left unattended that they will run rampant like bermuda grass and take over everything.. That's not my opinion but I figured I'd ask the rest of you that might know better.. I've never heard of Art's sending out runners or similar.. Which is correct -- take over or not to take over? Thanks!
:rolleyes:

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They don't run. They produce a clump at the base of the main stem after the main shoot dies or is cut back. A good point to remember is to always propogate them from the clump by division. If you grow them from the seed they may revert back to the wild form which is more like a cardoon and has a small head.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind!

So at the end of the season when they die back I can cut them in half (or quarters,etc) and continue to propogate them from the divided cuttings?

I've never grown them but seen them growing including in the central valley (CA) near Gilroy.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you dig carefully around the base of the old stalk after it dies back you can take the individual shoots with some root attached. Those are very easy to transplant. Shoots without roots can be rooted the same as you would with a cutting but you will probably be able to get more than enough rooted shoots for your needs. You can just let the entire clump regrow but the chokes will be smaller if you do that. Allow 2 feet or so between plants if you want maximum size. They are quite an attractive plant and well worth growing for looks alone but remember they are also quite prickly so don't put them where you will need to have a lot of contact with them. They look like a giant thistle.
They should be quite easy to grow in your zone.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Hoodat!

I was once at a house in the Van Nuys/Reseda area of the 'valley' and the people that lived there had the entire perimeter of the backyard growing artichokes and each one was in perfect shape taking up about 4' each.. It was very interesting but to date I've yet to actually grow any. I'll have to give it a shot! Thanks!

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like regular artichokes will do that, but Jerusalem artichokes will!

I bet the people who bought our place in Florida are *still* trying to get rid of those things. We dug up five gallons of them before we moved, but there's no way we got them all. ;)

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So Jerusalem artichokes will take over? Oh.. I just looked it up on Wikipedia and those look more like sunflowers or daisy's than anything else.. I'll assume they're not relevant in this case since I'm talking about the edible variety that you find in the stores.. ;)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
It doesn't sound like regular artichokes will do that, but Jerusalem artichokes will!

I bet the people who bought our place in Florida are *still* trying to get rid of those things. We dug up five gallons of them before we moved, but there's no way we got them all. ;)
You should have found a pet pot bellied pig. he'd have had them out of there in no time and plowed your garden for you while he was at it.
:drool

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You've got to do a search for rebbetzin's pics of artichokes in Arizona. They are amazing!

Latest posts