Artichokes

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of the summer's disasters, I had some Jerusalem artichokes. It was supposed to be their second year of growth, but they succumbed to the drought. . . . or DH's hoe? Don't really know, but they are gone.

Love, Smart Red

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smart Red said:
One of the summer's disasters, I had some Jerusalem artichokes. It was supposed to be their second year of growth, but they succumbed to the drought. . . . or DH's hoe? Don't really know, but they are gone.

Love, Smart Red
Are you sure they're gone? They're pretty persistent, even in drought conditions. Maybe you'll see them come back this spring.
Of course I'm talking about the sunflower type JA ( helianthus tuberosa ) which is not an artichoke at all. Is that the one you mean?

I'd be happy to share a few with you this spring if you'd like.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They are a thistle! My biggest advice is don't over baby them. Start them in pots indoors. Transplant after danger of frost in a sunny, well drained location. I throw a handful of fishmeal in the hole. Leave them alone. Water when dry after established. Letting them dry out pushes flowers. Good old Globe Artichoke is a standby.

Nothing lasts forever. Especially where you are. You could grow them in a large pot, but you wouldn't get the abundance of buds that are so great.

In my opinion having several, like 15, allows you to harvest them when they are babies, cut the tops, drizzle with oil, bake and eat whole in about 5 bites. You don't do the traditional leaf pulling to the center that way and they are so soft!

Don't be afraid to poke them into a scruffier part of the yard 16" apart and let nature do her thing!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
here's a update on the artichokes that I started on jan 15

DSC_0006_zpsed7b3e67.jpg

Durgan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?QLSKK 18 September 2008 Globe Artichoke (Cynara scolymus) Zone 5.

The artichokes were grown three or four years. One plant overwintered but was a poor producer. The best producers were ones started indoors then planted in late May. Each plant produces around seven or eight good sized fruit. I found that I didn't use the fruit much so abandoned growing them. They do take up a lot of room.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?RAETH 20 August 2008 Globe Artichoke (Cynara scolymus) Fruit Here is another shot of harvesting.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are really growing great Major!

Durgan, why didn't you pick them, boil them, and eat them? So easy even I can do it!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
cat here is another picture of the other tray of artichoke seedlings that was started at the same time.
these are the weakest ones...

DSC_0008_zps2a5bc085.jpg

since seed starting potting mix is basically sphagnum peat moss, perlite, coconut fiber or a combination of them.
this year I used miracle-gro mix which has a 0.05- 0.05- 0.05 fertilizer in it after a couple weeks and they got their 1st true leafs started to use miracle -gro all purpose plant food which is 24-8-16
artichoke's are heavy feeder's as well they like water

also once they get their 1st leafs it's a good idea to lower the temp to around 60-70.< since I was using a small heater for germination I just turned it off>
also they are getting about 15 hours of light

anyway if you let's say plant 32 seed's there's going to be around 20% of them that do not sprout< I had a 85% sprout rate>
out of those only 50% of them look healthy and once they go to the cold frame I figure another 10-20% won't make it.

and how knows what the % will be after the first years overwintering.

cat to answer your question it could be many things
not enough water or too much
not enough fertilizer or too much
not enough light
temp in your greenhouse was to high
old seed's
transplanted using soil to early
not using sterile pots< overwintering bugs and or diseases in them>
the list goes on and on

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes artichokes do take up room, along the property line we have a weep spring pretty much year round so going to plant them near there. since it will be virgin ground going to have the soil tested down at the coop extension.

as a wise man said........ the more you plant the less you have too mow......

oh no flash back time, I remember as a child mom and dad throwing all of us into the station wagon and driving from Tahoe down to Carmel to visit the grandparents and we always stopped in Castroville at a roadside stand that had a giant artichoke sign and mom would load up on artichokes and other things, wonder if that place is still there?

Latest posts