Artichokes

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
The day I joined the army, that bus ride to Fort Ord went past thousands of acres of Artichokes. Far as the eye could see!

Durgan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Those are really growing great Major!

Durgan, why didn't you pick them, boil them, and eat them? So easy even I can do it!
I used the fruit, but find them insipid except for the melted butter sticking to the piece being eaten, and prefer other vegetables less onerous to produce. For juice for long term storage it doesn't appear to be feasible.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh.

So much more than melted butter to dip them in. Ranch dressing. Butter with Garlic, Curry, and Turmeric. And then there was that secret sauce I was never told but was Olive oil and one of those vinagrette things with butter chives and leek.

Ohhhhhhh and the hearts! To die for!!!

...and and and...there is a technique using the front teeth and incisors... and those parts you are not supposed to eat...artichokes require proper lessons to eat, but boiling it is easy...a most unusual food!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Oh.

So much more than melted butter to dip them in. Ranch dressing. Butter with Garlic, Curry, and Turmeric. And then there was that secret sauce I was never told but was Olive oil and one of those vinagrette things with butter chives and leek.

Ohhhhhhh and the hearts! To die for!!!

...and and and...there is a technique using the front teeth and incisors... and those parts you are not supposed to eat...artichokes require proper lessons to eat, but boiling it is easy...a most unusual food!
that's the fun part about eating one boiled pulling off each petal and eating that little tidbit at the end and scooping out the fuzz and eating the heart with melted butter running down your chin.....yuumm :drool :drool

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been reading this thread, thinking maybe......... I need to plant some of those......... In reality, I need to buy the house next door and tear it down so I could have that nice big yard! :lol:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
baymule said:
I have been reading this thread, thinking maybe......... I need to plant some of those......... In reality, I need to buy the house next door and tear it down so I could have that nice big yard! :lol:
baymule I bet they would do good down there it's worth a try, heck I grow kiwis here in north Carolina

on your expansion plans take a dollar out of your egg money and get a mega million lottery tonight ;)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Durgan? You got those big plants in zone 5??????Do you remember the variety? Mine never grew like that!
And Catfish. Once you get the plants to the shown size you lower the growing temp?
I love them steamed and just as they are. Home grown fresh are so much better than store bought.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
Durgan? You got those big plants in zone 5??????Do you remember the variety? Mine never grew like that!
And Catfish. Once you get the plants to the shown size you lower the growing temp?
I love them steamed and just as they are. Home grown fresh are so much better than store bought.
yes during germination period you want temp from anywhere from 70-80
and once you get a good full second leaf slowly lower the temp down to 60-70 if possible 55-60 at night
and then tempering them in a cold frame where you can have temps ranging from 35-50 for a steady 10 days
and then planet outside when you have a steady 60 and above soil temp

hope this helps you

blondiebee181

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I don't know how to post pictures on this site but I'll just say that my arti seedlings I got from our Fred Meyer greenhouse were nice and healthy and they have several sets of leaves now but their secondary leaves are starting to turn pale green....in my usual experience I would say maybe they are getting too much sun/heat? They are in a small upright greenhouse with the broccoliis and the broccoliis are fine....having never grown artis before idk what else might cause that?