Arugula: how to grow

Robb Simer

Sprout
Reaction score
I am starting this thread in the hopes that someone my know how to grow arugula {that is when to plant [in Deer Park, Texas] how to water, and what to feed.} I grow collard greens; turnips, jalapenos, onions etc., so I might be able to grow arugula, may be. If anyone can help, please do. Thanks, Robb Simer

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well Robb, I've grown arugula for about 3 or 4 years. I don't find it difficult in the least. Now if you were asking about mche, I'd say that there's this very narrow window of growing opportunity and I've missed it the last 2 years running :rolleyes:. But, arugula pops up quickly and reaches harvestable size quickly thruoughout much of the growing season.

I live in an arid part of the West. Arugula doesn't do well during the heat of Summer but no salad green does. Since you are in the Houston area, I think you should plant it immediately, save some seeds, and resow another time or 2. It should work well as a Fall crop. Probably, February wouldn't have been too early for you to have sown the seed.

You can probably treat it like your turnips. I was surprised to learn that arugula is a brassica. I guess it looks something like radish but the taste of a radish leaf (or mustard, or broccoli, or whatever :)) just doesn't seem much like arugula to me. But, be that as it may - brassicas are some of the easiest plants to grow in the garden.

Steve

Latest posts