Ashes in a compost pile??

mmtillman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I need to know if it is ok to put a few ashes from a wood stove in a compost pile?? We are new at having a wood stove and just wondered about this...Thanks ! :)

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:welcome

A few, probably ok. Of course it depends on what your soil is like.
Wood ashes are alkaline and would raise the Ph. There are some who say adding wood ash is always a major mistake.

I have a slightly acidic soil so wood ash acts much like lime when applied to my soil, with a few added benefits. I don't apply it often, but since I mulch with pine straw, I did dust the garden down with ashes this January. Had been at least 5 years since I had done that. Personally I tend to think the more diverse materials that can be added, in moderation of course, to a compost pile the better it is. Just my 2 cents.

mmtillman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. We felt the same way and would not put much in if at all. We do lime the garden occasionally so probally will put the ashes elsewhere . Wonder what ashes would be good for?? Thanks for writing! Happy Gardening! :)

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
mmtillman said:
Thanks for the advice. We felt the same way and would not put much in if at all. We do lime the garden occasionally so probally will put the ashes elsewhere . Wonder what ashes would be good for?? Thanks for writing! Happy Gardening! :)
My grandfather always used ashes instead of rock salt/sand to put on the ice in the paths on the steps etc just besure you wipe your feet before going into the house!!

We have very acid soil in the north EAst so ashes in the compost wont hurt a bit...there are also some trace minerals from the burnt wood that are good for the plants...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I add some wood ashed to my chickens run... a small amount can help ward off fleas and mites from your flock. I just mix it with the sand in their run.

Haven't added it to my compost though. But I think its ok at a minimum.

muddler6

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Clean ash should be fine, just no pressure treated stuff or plastics like what ends up in some burn pile and campfires. My grandfather use to empty his ashes from the woodburner directly into the garder all winter, but most composting literature that I have read say go for it, just mix it in with your greens and browns, and don't just dump a bucket full in all at once or it may clump up some.

Latest posts