Aside from chicken poo what is a good fertilizer for bush beans?

The Mustard Seed Gardener

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ooops! What I said about S.C. was for NCcounrty girl.
Maybe you can used a watered tea with out aging...But I'm not sure on that. :watering

BTW, My son lives across the lake from Charlotte, in Lake, Wylice S.C. Beautiful Country!! :frow

Awww..Dirt!

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've been using "miracle grow" beans grow like crazy.
Have no idea of ingredients being good or not, lol
but it works :D:D

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you start with good soil, with lots of compost dug in , beans usually don't need any fertilizer, as they usually fix nitrogen themselves. If they are really yellow, you could try a liquid fish fertilizer, as it's low in nitrogen, and organic.

Rotate your bean crops in the garden every year, if you have room. I find that most crops do well in the year following, where I had beans growing. I think that is because of the nitrogen the beans roots fix on them, make it readily available, for the next plant.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
nccountrygirl said:
The title says it all...Thanks in advance
Hey Laura, i put mushroom manure around my bush beans this year, (i didn't even know a shroom had a bumm), anywho, all i want to know at this point is when do these dang beans STOP producing ?!?!?!?!? it's like every day ......
"it's yer turn to pick beans today "
" no it aint, i did it yesterday"
"nu uh, i did it and my back still hurts from it, it's YOUR turn "
You git the point.

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bush beans or any other type of beans actually don't need very much fertilizer. Regular garden soil will be fine. Just make sure that the soil is well drained. :)

LindaN

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well, start building up that soil with lots of compost then! It will improve the drainage and help the plants grow better.

starshrike

Sprout
Reaction score
I have clay soil too - my bush beans are okay since I dug about 6 inches down mixed the clay with some compost/clay soil amender and made about a 2 in raised bed. I only have 6 plants and I get about a serving's worth per plant every other week. It's not much, but I also started wayyy late :D

Latest posts