Asparagus babies

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I bought a flat of baby asparagus plants, you know, grown from seed (not a special variety called 'baby'). I want to integrate them into the existing bed in holes left by plants that died out. How deep do you think I should plant them, or how? I was thinking of digging a fairly deep hole and putting the plant at the bottom and then gradually filling in the hole over the season. Sound like a plan?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is exactly what I would do! Nothing like garden fresh asparagus! I even managed to successfully transplant a very old plant, brought from another property. Didn't think it would work- but a new sprout is on its way! Having rain everyday, probably helped!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That sounds about right to me. Kind of like trenching? I'm seeing it as working.

Which reminds me, the french grow 'white' asparagus and all it is, is they hill their asparagus and mulch them high up like we do to leeks to keep the stalks white and more tender. How clever! :)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i was told last year when i bought my seedlings to trench deep and gradually fill it in as they got taller so they would have deep roots. and it seems to have worked because this year i have seen some really tall stems coming up and i know the original plants/roots are probably at least a foot down!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is my first year to plant asparagus. I researched how to plant them on the internet and every website kept saying you have to trench them- spread the roots and cover gradually with dirt as they grow. Then I read on another site- I can't remember the site, but he said don't bother trenching or spreading the roots - just dig a hole and throw them in and back fill with dirt - they know what direction to grow. Well, that's exactly what I did and everyone of them came up and look fantastic! Just my experience! :)

Latest posts