Asparagus Beetles

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looking at my asparagus today and I see some little wormy caterpillar things munching away. Then I see more and some eggs and one adult asparagus beetle. I started hand picking them but I can't reach all the asparagus, it's really tall and I'm kinda short. I picked many of them but I was wondering if anyone has used BT for them? Any luck with it?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What?? :ep You mean to tell me that there are specialized, nasty, greedy, herbivorous specific asparagus beetles???? Well, I never...... So they are like squash vine borers and they show up and eat up your asparagus? DRATS!! :\

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yup, nasty little beetles that love asparagus. :he I've read that site @Carol Dee but it doesn't say anything about using BT to kill the ugly little pillars. I checked other sites and some people say to use BT but I didn't see anything about anyone actually using it and if it worked. I guess I'll have to wait and see if it works.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if VOO-DOO juice would work........ I have used it on my tomatoes before because worms (corn worms) would chew into the bottom of the tomato and eat out the inside. EEEEWWWWW!!!! Reach for a ripening tomato and get a handful of goosh and a nasty worm! Creepy! :sick If you decide to try this, test it first. I have burned leaves on my tomato plants before-probably made it too strong.

VOO-DOO Juice
It is made with a pouch of chewing tobacco, 1/4 cup liquid dish washing soap, 1/4 cup tobasco pepper sauce, and crushed pods of garlic. Steep the tobacco and crushed garlic in one gallon of boiling hot water, add soap and tabasco and enough water to fill up a 2 gallon sprayer.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if VOO-DOO juice would work........ I have used it on my tomatoes before because worms (corn worms) would chew into the bottom of the tomato and eat out the inside. EEEEWWWWW!!!! Reach for a ripening tomato and get a handful of goosh and a nasty worm! Creepy! :sick If you decide to try this, test it first. I have burned leaves on my tomato plants before-probably made it too strong.

VOO-DOO Juice
It is made with a pouch of chewing tobacco, 1/4 cup liquid dish washing soap, 1/4 cup tobasco pepper sauce, and crushed pods of garlic. Steep the tobacco and crushed garlic in one gallon of boiling hot water, add soap and tabasco and enough water to fill up a 2 gallon sprayer.
UGH, I think the Voo-doo juice would repel ME !!!

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
VOO-DOO Juice

Would this work on japenese beetles too? Last year they attacked my new cherry tree. It sounds like it would repel everything.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
:lol:

Oh, this stuff stinks while you are cooking up the bug brew. Just thought I'd throw that in--at no extra charge!!!

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, I guess I could get the grill going good and hot and brew it outside. Sounds like a good excuse to get a fire pit in the backyard.

Latest posts