Asparagus Growers: anyone else having issues with the heavy rain this year?

alrashid2

Garden lurker
Reaction score
We've grown asparagus at my home for 6 years now with little to no issue. Once in a while a bad couple weeks with beetles or aphids but otherwise it's been great!

I was getting excited this year with a historically wet spring, as every other plant has grown twice as fast here! But my asparagus doesn't seem to be happy.

I'm not getting many spears and the ones that do pop up have rotten, brown, mushy spear heads.

Anyone else experiencing this? My asparagus are in 6" raised beds. Not really sure how to help drainage without disturbing the crowns. Thanks all

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I did suffer a bit, too. Although I am in Germany, we have a wet autumn, a wet winter, and then a wet spring...The first batch of spears were in terrible shapes especially we have frost in consecutive nights.

Now the second flush arrives, and the spears look much better. I didn't harvest as many as previous years - just let them grow and see if they will store more energy for the next seasons.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We've grown asparagus at my home for 6 years now with little to no issue. Once in a while a bad couple weeks with beetles or aphids but otherwise it's been great!

I was getting excited this year with a historically wet spring, as every other plant has grown twice as fast here! But my asparagus doesn't seem to be happy.

I'm not getting many spears and the ones that do pop up have rotten, brown, mushy spear heads.

Anyone else experiencing this? My asparagus are in 6" raised beds. Not really sure how to help drainage without disturbing the crowns. Thanks all
May I ask what area of the country you are gardening in please?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
they do not like soggy, that's about all i know of them. when found in the wild here growing along the ditches they grow near the top of the bank. so that indicates they really don't want soggy...

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
they do not like soggy, that's about all i know of them. when found in the wild here growing along the ditches they grow near the top of the bank. so that indicates they really don't want soggy...
When I lived in Northern CA I lived in a house that had volunteer asparagus coming up from the previous gardener who lived there. It was so cool as I have never tried to grow it intentionally.

Latest posts