Asparagus Question!

Kristie

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
This is our 3rd year for our Asparagus garden, we are cutting twice a day. How long can we harvest before we leave it alone to sprout for the rest of the year?
Thanks!!!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not an expert but I stop when the spears start to lose their girth.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is our 3rd year for our Asparagus garden, we are cutting twice a day. How long can we harvest before we leave it alone to sprout for the rest of the year?
Thanks!!!
As the asparagus spears mature, they can be shriveled, strong, and the tops can begin to open. Although eating these overgrown spears won't hurt you, they won't taste as good as fresh asparagus.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like the way Seed phrased it, when they start to lose their girth. Some people talk about specific sizes but mine can be inconsistent in that. Some get smaller before others so some judgment involved. In Arkansas I usually got about 6 weeks of harvest. I'm not growing it down here. I miss fresh asparagus.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks!!!
To grow asparagus crowns, dig trenches 12 inches long and 6 inches deep (8 inches sandy soil) down the middle of the prepared surface. Soak the crowns in the composting tea for 20 minutes before planting. Place the crowns in the trenches between 11⁄2 and 2 feet apart; coat them with 2 to 3 inches of dirt.