asparagus

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I planted asparagus this year. I have never grown it before. Well, years ago we had one little plant that was there when we moved into the house, but that doesn't really count. So the spears are popping up all over. But they are thin. I don't know if this is because this is their first year or this is how they will always be. Will they thicken up next year? Or will they always produce thin spears? I have two varieties, purple passion and jersey... something. I don't remember, I got them from wal-mart. So any tips? Advice?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
annageckos said:
So I planted asparagus this year. I have never grown it before. Well, years ago we had one little plant that was there when we moved into the house, but that doesn't really count. So the spears are popping up all over. But they are thin. I don't know if this is because this is their first year or this is how they will always be. Will they thicken up next year? Or will they always produce thin spears? I have two varieties, purple passion and jersey... something. I don't remember, I got them from wal-mart. So any tips? Advice?
there are quite a few good threads on them
go to the search tab and type in asparagus

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
a good crown is at least 1 year old when sold and should only allowed to go to fern the following year.
the 3rd year year you should only pick a few spears and then let it go to fern.
following years they will spread and more will flll in and you can pick more.
asparagus are heavy feeders and they like water.

up in your area in the fall once they die, cut the old ferns off and cover them with straw for the winter, in early spring remove the straw and give them a good feeding. once done harvesting give them another feeding doing this will put the energy into the crowns to survive though the winter and don't to forget to water them through the summer.
jersey giant is a very hardy variety

Latest posts